HB2522: Open Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth247

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So the last thread got shut down due to a cronic case of doosh-itis, so I figured I'd start a new one.

So, any new update on this thing? Last bit I heard was that the crappy amendments got dumped and the good ones passed. Is this thing sitting in committee or what?

pak-40

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
HB2522 is available for second reading. Second reading means it will be assigned to committee. The Senate has until the 15th to get it's own bills out of the chamber so those will take priority. After the bill is assigned to committee, they have until April 5 to get it out of committee and back to the floor. After it is back to the floor, they have until April 26 to deal with it by the full chamber. The senate public safety committee meets on Thursdays so we won't know until the Wednesday before what they will discuss for sure. Although I would probably start next week and gently urge the senate public safety chair to have early hearings on this bill so any issues can be resolved in a timely manor.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...they have until April 26 to deal with it by the full chamber. The senate public safety committee meets on Thursdays so we won't know until the Wednesday before what they will discuss for sure. Although I would probably start next week and gently urge the senate public safety chair to have early hearings on this bill so any issues can be resolved in a timely manor.

And there it is. April 26th to go to the full Senate. It passes. Back to conference commitee and then back to both houses just in time to pass again but not enough time to make it to the governors desk for signature. The senate wins, the house wins, the governor wins. Afterall they were all for it - they just ran out of time. Maybe next year. We're doing the best we can.

The only loser is us.

In the words of a SNL comedian from years ago: "How convieeeeeeeeeeenient!"

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I see it, there are multiple items that are good in this bill. Since HB2522 is on the list to have a second reading tomorrow (13th) how soon and who do we need to try to remind with calls and emails to try to keep the heat turned up on this as much as we we can?

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are discussing strategy over on the FB page, you might check in there from time to time..

As far as who to bug, I'm waiting until it gets assigned to a Senate committee. I'm sure it will be public safety. Anyway, once they get it, I'd bug the Chair and Vice chair to get it heard as soon as they can so that any issues can be ironed out early. Then start talking to the committee members. Plan to be ready to attend the hearing, if possible. Face to face at the capitol is best, 2nd is phone calls, but emails can have an influence, as well.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And there it is. April 26th to go to the full Senate. It passes. Back to conference commitee and then back to both houses just in time to pass again but not enough time to make it to the governors desk for signature. The senate wins, the house wins, the governor wins. Afterall they were all for it - they just ran out of time. Maybe next year. We're doing the best we can.

The only loser is us.

In the words of a SNL comedian from years ago: "How convieeeeeeeeeeenient!"
Normally my cynical self would agree with you, but in this case, after burning us all last year, if they play this kind of a game, they will REALLY piss us all off, and they are smart enough to know not to do that...nothing speaks like election money.
If what you are saying happens, I would urge everyone one of us to fore-go the next $100 we spend on shooting, and instead contribute to have the rascals removed, starting with the RINO governor. I have a feeling though that this time it may pass. (fingers crossed). They have a strong sense of self preservation.

abajaj11

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are discussing strategy over on the FB page, you might check in there from time to time..

As far as who to bug, I'm waiting until it gets assigned to a Senate committee. I'm sure it will be public safety. Anyway, once they get it, I'd bug the Chair and Vice chair to get it heard as soon as they can so that any issues can be ironed out early. Then start talking to the committee members. Plan to be ready to attend the hearing, if possible. Face to face at the capitol is best, 2nd is phone calls, but emails can have an influence, as well.
Thanks, please keep those of us not on FB in the loop here so we can add to the pressure.

cpd23

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ACTION ALERT: HB2522 (Open Carry) to be Heard Today Wednesday 3/14/2012
Rep. Martin's open carry "omnibus" bill is set to be heard by the House Public Safety Committee this Wednesday at 10:30 am in Room 432A at the State Capitol. We expect this to be a very close vote. Please call all members of the committee and ask them to support HB2522. You can find the committee roster with contact information here. Also scheduled to be heard by the committee is Rep. Enns' casual exposure bill, HB2416. Also ask the committee members to support it. We are also asking anyone who is able to please attend the meeting this Wednesday. If you plan to attend, please arrive as early as possible because they have been known to start committee meeting early.

Latest posts

Top Bottom