Heartland Match August 15th is a GO GO GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i have never done any sort of competition before, got a crossbreed holster on order (not here yet), got a couple of questions
1. so if i bring my holster, 2 mags (they are 16 rds) and my xd 9mm, is there anything else??
2. How long do these things go? How do they "narrow" it down, do you get eliminated??
3. is it accuracy, or speed??
4. is the competition the same every month?
5. what else do i need to know??

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The match consists of at least 4 stages. You shoot them all, then see how your over-all time stacks up to others in your division.

Scoring is the time it took you to shoot it, plus 1/2 second per point dropped. Let's say you shot a stage in 10 seconds and dropped 4 points. Your total time/score for the stage is 12 seconds.

How long the match goes depends on the stages and how many people show up.

The challenges vary each month.

You need to know how to be safe and have fun!

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heartland Pistol Match Guidelines

Safety

1) Safety is everyone’s job. If you see something unsafe, SAY SOMETHING !
2) This is a COLD RANGE. No guns are loaded prior to the “make ready” command.
3) Do not unholster your gun unless on the line & after told to “make ready” by the RO. (Range Officer) IE; your gun stays holstered unless you’re on the line making ready or in the safe area.
4) Follow all range commands of the RO, as they are given. (Don’t rush, don’t anticipate!)
5) The “safe” area is the classroom, at the southeast corner of the building thru the double doors.
You may “gun-up” there, while facing the EAST wall. (away from the double doors)
6) Do NOT handle any ammunition in the safe area. (Load magazines anywhere BUT the safe area)
7) All movement and reloads must be done with the trigger finger outside the guard.
8) Don’t break the 180 with the muzzle. (Muzzle & Finger warnings may be given, but are not required)
9) If you have an accidental discharge, STOP! Face downrange and do what the RO tells you.
10) Do not try to outsmart the stage. Due to the limitations of an indoor range, all shots must hit the backstop for safety. Walls, ceiling and floor are not the backstop!
11) It is required that the shooter engage targets only from the specified positions.
12) All prop walls are considered to go all the way to the floor. Unless otherwise specifically outlined for the stage, if you can see a target under a wall, do not shoot it. If you’re unsure, ask!
13) All walls and targets are considered impenetrable. Do not intentionally shoot thru a target, prop or wall hoping to hit another target.
14) When told, “unload & show clear,” remove your magazine, remove the chambered round,
point the gun at the backstop and pull the trigger. If there is an AD, it’s a Match DQ

BLATANTLY DISREGARDING ANY OF THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DQ

If you are DQ’ed for a safety violation, there is no refund and there is no whining.

Protocols

1) You are expected to stay with your squad throughout the match.
2) You are expected to help tape, pick up brass and/or reset the stage for the next shooter.
3) If you are the “on deck” (next) shooter, you do not need to help reset the stage.
4) If you’re “in the hole” (3rd up) pick up the shooter’s brass. If you’re 4th or 5th or greater, help tape/reset.
5) If you are reported as a “slug” (not helping at all) then you forfeit your chance at the drawing.
6) There is no shooting straight thru the match, unless you have a great reason.
7) After the match is over, you are expected to help sweep, take down the props, clean up and restore the range to how it was before the match.
8) If you leave early, you forfeit your chance at winning a $50 Heartland Gift Certificate.
Must be present to win!

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Each of the 4 stages is 18 rounds each so two mags is enough but a 3rd is a backup.

Red Neck Tactical always recommends having enough ammo on your belt to shoot a stage. The ammo in your gun is extra. That allows you to drop a mag or have a mag fail and you can grab another one and still finish the course of fire. It all depends on how prepared you want to be.
You could UAE one mag with an extended base pad and be good to go like I have in the past but I carry an extra just in case.

Latest posts

Top Bottom