Heartland Match Oct 17th!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No it was not you or or Cyrwus I was in the other room. I am sorry for venting. I have not slept well lately. Sometimes I just misread peoples intent. Maybe he meant well. I'll try to consume less caffeine next time we shoot. I enjoy the shoots and am looking forward to getting to shoot alot more with you guys in the future.Cheers.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Unless they were yelling specifically at you, I wouldnt pay any attention.
I often yell "tape em up" to the squad, just so they know that the targets are scored.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As match director, I take full responsibility for what happens at the match.

IF there is a real problem, the time to bring it to my attention is THEN, so I can deal with it.

If _I_ am the problem, then I need to know why you think so.

I'll either correct it, or explain it so you understand the "why."

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As match director, I take full responsibility for what happens at the match.

IF there is a real problem, the time to bring it to my attention is THEN, so I can deal with it.

If _I_ am the problem, then I need to know why you think so.

I'll either correct it, or explain it so you understand the "why."

Dave, I think it would be a great idea to explain to the whole crowd before the match starts, the etiquette of pasting and resetting so that the whole match runs faster. I have been in groups several times where it starts out with lots of help but then people just quit and one or two guys do all the work till someone has to yell at everyone again to get it going. Maybe that would help.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave, I think it would be a great idea to explain to the whole crowd before the match starts, the etiquette of pasting and resetting so that the whole match runs faster.

You mean something like this? (copied and pasted from Post #2 in this thread)

Heartland Pistol Match Guidelines​

Safety

1) Safety is everyone’s job. If you see something unsafe, SAY SOMETHING !
2) This is a COLD RANGE. No guns are loaded prior to the “make ready” command.
3) Do not unholster your gun unless on the line & after told to “make ready” by the RO. (Range Officer) IE; your gun stays holstered unless you’re on the line making ready or in the safe area.
4) Follow all range commands of the RO, as they are given. (Don’t rush, don’t anticipate!)
5) The “safe” area is the classroom, at the southeast corner of the building thru the double doors.
You may “gun-up” there, while facing the EAST wall. (away from the double doors)
6) Do NOT handle any ammunition in the safe area. (Load magazines anywhere BUT the safe area)
7) All movement and reloads must be done with the trigger finger outside the guard.
8) Don’t break the 180 with the muzzle. (Muzzle & Finger warnings may be given, but are not required)
9) If you have an accidental discharge, STOP! Face downrange and do what the RO tells you.
10) Do not try to outsmart the stage. Due to the limitations of an indoor range, all shots must hit the backstop for safety. Walls, ceiling and floor are not the backstop!
11) It is required that the shooter engage targets only from the specified positions.
12) All prop walls are considered to go all the way to the floor. Unless otherwise specifically outlined for the stage, if you can see a target under a wall, do not shoot it. If you’re unsure, ask!
13) All walls and targets are considered impenetrable. Do not intentionally shoot thru a target, prop or wall hoping to hit another target.
14) When told, “unload & show clear,” remove your magazine, remove the chambered round,
point the gun at the backstop and pull the trigger. If there is an AD, it’s a Match DQ

DISREGARDING ANY OF THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DQ

If you are DQ’ed for a safety violation, there is no refund and there is no whining.

Protocols​

1) You are expected to stay with your squad throughout the match.
2) You are expected to help tape, pick up brass and/or reset the stage for the next shooter.
3) If you are the “on deck” (next) shooter, you do not need to help reset the stage.
4) If you’re “in the hole” (3rd up) pick up the shooter’s brass. If you’re 4th or 5th or greater, help tape/reset.
5) If you are reported as a “slug” (not helping at all) then you forfeit your chance at the drawing.
6) There is no shooting straight thru the match, unless you have a great reason.
7) After the match is over, you are expected to help sweep, take down the props, clean up and restore the range to how it was before the match.
8) If you leave early, you forfeit your chance at winning a $50 Heartland Gift Certificate.

Must be present to win!

This is the SAME as the handout that everyone told me they read before we fired the first shot.

Aside from reading the entire handout, which would be insulting when responsible adults told me they read it, what do you suggest I do?

There comes a point where the squad members need to monitor themselves. I've handed a roll of tape to more than one person I thought was slacking on the job.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No offense intended. However in the room with the room with the blue tarp I had followed the crowd to the front numerous times to watch someone else tape the holes in the targets. I finally decided that since I did not have any tape and none was laying about that I would just stay the heck out of the way. Your boy PSTMSTR... at one point looks at me and barks "If you are not loading you need to be going up to tape". Like he was the ruling body in the room. I understand that this is part of the ettiquette. However I had NO tape and did not see a reason to trail along behind the crowd like a lost puppy. Perhaps the gentlemen should make sure of all the facts behind he starts barking at people who have ALWAYS helped set up and sweep. I did both at the match Sunday, and have done so at EVERY match I have been able to attend. IMHO I felt like he was way out of line for his comment. I did a considerable amount of taping in the room where we fired multi[ple rounds and helped as much as I could there. So again I believe I was in danger of being considered a slug at the match. For what it is worth.... There it is!

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Dave. I didn't know anyone actually read that stuff. I thought it was like the lawyer junk that just has to be put out there so someone isn't liable.

Latest posts

Top Bottom