Heartland Match Oct 17th!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Higgimw, I did not realize you also posted your PM to me to this thread. I will post my PM response to you in italics, as well:

There are times when there are more tapers than targets. This is good! But too often it turns into no tapers, because "everyone else" is already doing it.

There have been times when I was "too slow" to tape, so I wouldn't go forward and tape. However, I didn't want to always be "too slow," so I would find the guy that had the roll of tape and ask him to peel off a strip for me. I'd be ready to go forward on the "range clear" command and would zoom towards the target(s) I selected to tape. I'd beat whoever else was heading that way. I'd tape for a few runs (or however long I could until it was my time to shoot) so everyone would know that I was, in fact, contributing.

I am going to re-establish the procedures I first learned in Colorado when I began shooting.

The Scorekeeper will call out 3 people to tape and/or reset targets, one to pick up the brass. If your name isn't called, no one will expect you to do anything. The shooter will have 4 times they will be expected to help restore the stage for the next competitor.

It'll go like this:

"Adams is the shooter, Baker, on deck (Baker does nothing) Charles, Dwight, Edward, tape/reset, Flanders, pick up brass!"

Now, if you're Charles, Dwight, Edward or Flanders and you're not there, or are refusing to do the tasks, we'll need to have a talk.

This works pretty well, so this is what we'll do at Heartland from now on.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry Dave. I didn't know anyone actually read that stuff. I thought it was like the lawyer junk that just has to be put out there so someone isn't liable.

I directed everyone to read it and everyone told me they did!

A couple months ago, I had just covered the "cold range, don't draw your gun until told to do so by the RO" and someone pulled their gun while folks were downrange taping. HE didn't read the protocols, either........

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am going to re-establish the procedures I first learned in Colorado when I began shooting.

The Scorekeeper will call out 3 people to tape and/or reset targets, one to pick up the brass. If your name isn't called, no one will expect you to do anything. The shooter will have 4 times they will be expected to help restore the stage for the next competitor.

It'll go like this:

"Adams is the shooter, Baker, on deck (Baker does nothing) Charles, Dwight, Edward, tape/reset, Flanders, pick up brass!"

Now, if you're Charles, Dwight, Edward or Flanders and you're not there, or are refusing to do the tasks, we'll need to have a talk.

This works pretty well, so this is what we'll do at Heartland from now on.

:thumbup3: I like this and I think it will work BUT.....

EVEN IF YOUR NAME ISN"T CALLED STILL HELP TAPE!!!

The first match we shot there was over at 10:30 ish.... that sucked for guys that still have an hour to drive to get home. 9:30 is the latest I ever want to get out of there and if it becomes a deal where we get out of there later because little bitches don't want to do their part and help out, then I will not be participating in this match anymore. I thoroughly enjoy the shooting match. The pissing match... Not so much.

I'll see you guys at the next match with tape in hand!

WideLoadTimmy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:thumbup3: I like this and I think it will work BUT.....

EVEN IF YOUR NAME ISN"T CALLED STILL HELP TAPE!!!

The first match we shot there was over at 10:30 ish.... that sucked for guys that still have an hour to drive to get home. 9:30 is the latest I ever want to get out of there and if it becomes a deal where we get out of there later because little bitches don't want to do their part and help out, then I will not be participating in this match anymore. I thoroughly enjoy the shooting match. The pissing match... Not so much.

I'll see you guys at the next match with tape in hand!

Cool with me. I don't mind helping.

MISph1t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll still do as I always do. Help setup, tape, and cleanup afterwards. I'm there anyway, I might as well be doing something.

Can't believe this is as big an issue as it is in 2 rooms full of adults.

la_emperatriz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sorry there's so much nastiness going around about taping. If people don't care for the ROs, we can certainly decline to participate in that manner. It would certainly give us more time to prepare to shoot if we weren't ROing/scoring.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
David,

I seem to recall that you "suggested" a reset protocol before the match started. We didn't really follow it because more people were helping reset that what you stated. I "hypothesize" that's why pstmstr didn't go with what you stated. We only had a problem after maybe 2 or 3 shooters shooting the stage where there were only 1 or 2 resetting. For the vast majority of the match everyone did their part and it wasn't a big problem as I recall.

But your new idea seems like a good one.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm sorry there's so much nastiness going around about taping. If people don't care for the ROs, we can certainly decline to participate in that manner. It would certainly give us more time to prepare to shoot if we weren't ROing/scoring.

Until we find a way to split me in half and put some of me on both squads, there will always be a deficit of people skills on whichever squad Im not on.

Its a shame, but at least the shooters have a 50% chance at rubbing elbows with greatness.

la_emperatriz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Incidentally and on a more positive note-I had a ton of fun shooting the snubby at the match. I'd never done that before (except for a few rounds to try out Mike's guns) and until Sunday had maintained a constant hatred for small revolvers (and really all revolvers).

Totally converted now! Hooray. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom