Heartland Match Sunday, May 16th is a GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartland Match Preferences (choose all that apply)

• I want to do realistic scenario based stages, even if match round count was low (24 or less).

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don't mind 6 rds for each target if it's challenging and gets the round count up. (50rds or more)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Mix it up, but keep the round count at 40 rds or higher

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I like the different targets. (people, IDPA, smurf, etc)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I'd rather see the IDPA targets all the time.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I like surprise stages once in awhile, even tho it takes longer.

• Surprise stages are cool, but they take too long. Don't do 'em!

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I'd like to do a "qualification" style match once or twice a year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a quick note to let everyone know that the Heartland Match,held the 3rd Sunday of each month is a "GO!" for next Sunday, the 16th.

I have five, count 'em, FIVE stages drawn up and ready to go.

Total round count is 50 rds.

This month, ALL STAGES WILL BE SET UP SIMULTANEOUSLY, so things will run faster than last month. (no surprise stages this time)

Take a moment to participate in the poll, or to post or PM your suggestions to me.

I have made a few tweaks to the divisions. "Low Cap" is now at 10 rds in the magazine. "High Cap" is 11 rds and more. You can download your gun to play in "Low Cap" if you wish, just make sure you are consistent with your round count.

Also, I added an "L" to the "PDL" division (Ported, Dot and Laser) It will now include gun mounted LIGHTS.

I will have to limit the number of shooters to 40 max......altho I won't enforce this until next month.

Further, there will be a list of Guidelines that everyone will receive and must read. That way, we're all on the same page before the first shot is fired. Here is the basic content of the Guidelines:

Heartland Pistol Match Guidelines

Safety

1) Safety is everyone’s job. If you see something unsafe, SAY SOMETHING !
2) This is a COLD RANGE. No guns are loaded prior to the “make ready” command.
3) Do not unholster your gun unless on the line & after told to “make ready” by the RO. (Range Officer) IE; your gun stays holstered unless you’re on the line making ready or in the safe area.
4) Follow all range commands of the RO, as they are given. (Don’t rush, don’t anticipate!)
5) The “safe” area is the classroom, at the southeast corner of the building thru the double doors.
You may “gun-up” there, while facing the EAST wall. (away from the double doors)
6) Do NOT handle any ammunition in the safe area. (Load magazines anywhere BUT the safe area)
7) All movement and reloads must be done with the trigger finger outside the guard.
8) Don’t break the 180 with the muzzle. (Muzzle & Finger warnings may be given, but are not required)
9) If you have an accidental discharge, STOP! Face downrange and do what the RO tells you.
10) Do not try to outsmart the stage. Due to the limitations of an indoor range, all shots must hit the backstop for safety. Walls, ceiling and floor are not the backstop!
11) It is required that the shooter engage targets only from the specified positions.
12) All prop walls are considered to go all the way to the floor. Unless otherwise specifically outlined for the stage, if you can see a target under a wall, do not shoot it. If you’re unsure, ask!
13) All walls and targets are considered impenetrable. Do not intentionally shoot thru a target, prop or wall hoping to hit another target.
14) When told, “unload & show clear,” remove your magazine, remove the chambered round,
point the gun at the backstop and pull the trigger. If there is an AD, it’s a Match DQ

BLATANTLY DISREGARDING ANY OF THE ABOVE GUIDELINES WILL RESULT IN A MATCH DQ

If you are DQ’ed for a safety violation, there is no refund and there is no whining.

Protocols​

1) You are expected to stay with your squad throughout the match.
2) You are expected to help tape, pick up brass and/or reset the stage for the next shooter.
3) If you are the “on deck” (next) shooter, you do not need to help reset the stage.
4) If you’re “in the hole” (3rd up) pick up the shooter’s brass. If you’re 4th or 5th or greater, help tape/reset.
5) If you are reported as a “slug” (not helping at all) then you forfeit your chance at the drawing.
6) There is no shooting straight thru the match, unless you have a great reason.
7) After the match is over, you are expected to help sweep, take down the props, clean up and restore the range to how it was before the match.
8) If you leave early, you forfeit your chance at winning a $50 Heartland Gift Certificate.
Must be present to win!

J-leblanc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
where is this at? whats the skill level? im new to all this, i went to the wounded warrior shoot and had a blast. but not sure what matches are gonna over my skill (or lack of) level.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
where is this at? whats the skill level? im new to all this, i went to the wounded warrior shoot and had a blast. but not sure what matches are gonna over my skill (or lack of) level.

I'm glad you ask !

It takes place at Heartland Outdoors, located in Edmond on Kelly, 1/10th of a mile north of Danforth.

There is every skill level there. You'll find beginning/first time shooters along with seasoned Grandmasters and everything in between.

If you shot the Wounded Warriors match and didn't get DQ'd, then you'll be fine for this match.

This match is geared more towards "practical" guns and gear. No pure race guns or rigs allowed. I shot my Aluminum Compact Stainless .45 Kimber at the March match from an IWB rig.

Prizes are awarded randomly, so you can be like one guy who placed dead last and he still won a $50 certificate.

I hope to see you there.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions.

I never received the emailed results from you for the first match. I asked around and I'm not the only one. When can we expect the results?

Will we be starting at 6pm? Our late start was frustrating last month. Several of us got there at 5:30 to help setup but there was nobody there til 6:05 to guide us. As a result, we didn't start shooting until 6:45.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will be there after the 3 gun match at OKC gun club (shameless plug) at 5:15-5:30 to get the sign in started. The range doesn't close for business until 6:00 at which time we can start setting up the stages. Hopefully we can be shooting by 6:20-6:30.

I will be scoring again this week. I hope that worked out well for everyone? David if you want to email me the scores from the first match I can input them in the excel sheet and email them to everyone.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, we won't be starting at 6 pm. That's when they close. We are not guaranteed access to the ranges until after 6 pm. They will not kick out paying customers just so we can start setting up our match early, nor would I expect them to.

If anyone is willing to help prepare for the match, grab a broom and help sweep the range. I will ask Heartland if the folks sweeping can keep the brass they collect, providing it doesn't slow anything down. This may motivate some sweeping help!

Showing up at 5:30 is for SIGN UP, not for range set-up. It also gives you a good chance of being one of the first 40 shooters that get to shoot the match.

I have not guaranteed an official "start" time for this match, so technically, it can never start late. :D
It will start just as soon as I have the stages set up and/or safety inspected.

Simpler stages are quicker to set up, but I doubt they'd hold the shooter's interest much past 2-3 matches.

Most shooters like a bit of challenge, especially if they can't find it elsewhere. Even if it means a delayed start time. Despite the comments on how long the last match was, everyone I talked to said they really liked the flashlight stage. Most had never shot a gun in the dark while trying to figure out how to hold the flashlight. Eye opening for many.

But this kind of stage comes at a cost, usually the time factor. This is one reason I'm posting this poll, to find out what the shooters want. (When was the last time any local club asked what the shooters want?)

And don't forget, WE'RE A NEW CLUB !! Heartland and I are still working together trying to figure out exactly how these matches are going to work, logistics-wise, etc.

I've shot many Local, State and even National matches that didn't start on time, so give a new club a break, will ya ? ;)

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding the results from the first match, the scores are lost. I'm not as tech-savvy as some (most?) of you and I cannot retrieve the scores. I've spent considerable time in the attempt and they are gone.

We did total up the times and read off the entire results immediately following the match. Everyone still present did learn where they finished and who beat them.

Jesse won HOA, as I think he may have mentioned once or twice....

We've since dispensed with that particular scoring system, so drawing any conclusions based on the first match against any other just won't work.

I apologize to those that were anxiously awaiting the results of the first match.

IF they ever somehow resurface, I'll let everyone know immediately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom