Heartland Match Sunday, May 16th is a GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartland Match Preferences (choose all that apply)

• I want to do realistic scenario based stages, even if match round count was low (24 or less).

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don't mind 6 rds for each target if it's challenging and gets the round count up. (50rds or more)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Mix it up, but keep the round count at 40 rds or higher

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I like the different targets. (people, IDPA, smurf, etc)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I'd rather see the IDPA targets all the time.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I like surprise stages once in awhile, even tho it takes longer.

• Surprise stages are cool, but they take too long. Don't do 'em!

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I'd like to do a "qualification" style match once or twice a year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
David will bethe one to say for sure. But my assumption would be yes that this match will continue on a monthly basis. We coudl use a few more than 13 shooters though so bring a freind or two.

I'm sure the weather had something to do with the low turnout. I'm sure part of the low turnout is for other reasons. Personally, the decision not to go was based on the low round count (50 rounds vs. 100-150 rounds) and cost of the match ($20 vs. $15 at every other match). It just doesn't make sense to me to pay 25% more for a match to shoot 50% to 66% less rounds. It would also be more attractive if the match was sanctioned with IDPA or USPSA.

Just my .02 cents.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure the weather had something to do with the low turnout. I'm sure part of the low turnout is for other reasons. Personally, the decision not to go was based on the low round count (50 rounds vs. 100-150 rounds) and cost of the match ($20 vs. $15 at every other match). It just doesn't make sense to me to pay 25% more for a match to shoot 50% to 66% less rounds. It would also be more attractive if the match was sanctioned with IDPA or USPSA.

Just my .02 cents.

Good points Mitch. I too would like USPSA or IDPA sanctioning but then you add more cost. I think the reason that the match is $5 more than other matches is that the club (David) has no money saved up for props, targets, tape, range rental, etc. Everything is coming out of pocket and/or match fees. I know David is looking for input on which direction to take this match so don't be scared to give input even if it is negative.

MISph1t

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of equipement do you need? This match only requires a pistol, a holster and one mag pouch. If you don't have all of those I know a guy that can let you use his extras for a match or two.

I need at least 1 more mag, belt, holster, mag pouch. All things I need to get anyway. Father's day is coming! :)

LurchYNWA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really didn't mean for the comments to be taken in a negative way. I was merely expressing my point of view as a shooter of this match and others.

And then there are newbies like me who don't know any better, enjoyed the experience, and wants more. There you go... maybe you could market it to new guys/girls that want a less competition-y format.

Jesse... if they redo the shoot this weekend could I borrow the holster/mag pouches again? I don't want to sound like a bum, but payday isn't until next week, so buying my own has to wait.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is $20 high? Comparatively speaking, I suppose it is. But what do you get for that? Right off the bat, you get a chance at winning a prize worth 2.5 times more than the match fee. What other local club is awarding anything? No one is even offering trophies or plaques, except for maybe one small, unaffiliated club.

You get moving targets. They charge you, they retreat and they move laterally. I don't recall the last time seeing that anywhere short of a Nationals venue. (much less on the same stage!)

You get different targets. Some are life-size pictures of real people in real situations. Some hold hostages, some are pointing a gun at you. I can't recall the last time I saw those at a match, either. As things progress, you'll have to identify a threat before shooting it.....and other ideas I have....:D

I don't get the "I want to shoot more" coupled with "I'd like it better if it were IDPA sanctioned." Those two thoughts don't really go together. If it were IDPA sanctioned, total match rounds could easily be less than 24 rds.......but because it's sanctioned, suddenly round count doesn't matter?

Comparing an indoor facility with two bays to an outdoor facility with 7 or more bays isn't realistic. It is what it is.

Ok, so what is it ? It's a match that presents seldom or never before encountered challenges that the shooter has to solve the best way he can. Ideally, he'll do it with his carry gun, so he can see how well he can handle a given situation with it.

If you insist on high round count, 7 stages or more with lots of steel that you can shoot with your racegear.......then maybe this isn't the match for you.

Latest posts

Top Bottom