Heartland Match Sunday, May 16th is a GO!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartland Match Preferences (choose all that apply)

• I want to do realistic scenario based stages, even if match round count was low (24 or less).

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I don't mind 6 rds for each target if it's challenging and gets the round count up. (50rds or more)

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Mix it up, but keep the round count at 40 rds or higher

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I like the different targets. (people, IDPA, smurf, etc)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • I'd rather see the IDPA targets all the time.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I like surprise stages once in awhile, even tho it takes longer.

• Surprise stages are cool, but they take too long. Don't do 'em!

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • I'd like to do a "qualification" style match once or twice a year.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LurchYNWA

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
What small unsanctioned club gives out trophys?

Do you have a trophy shelf to fill up Jesse? :)

If you insist on high round count, 7 stages or more with lots of steel that you can shoot with your racegear.......then maybe this isn't the match for you.

Again... I am new to this so take it for what it is worth, but I think I would prefer a creative stage that makes you think over one that is only intended to get the round count up. Yeah, the creative ones may be a little intimidating/frustrating for a new guy, but I think it would be better practice. Besides... how many bad guys stand still while you take a few shots at them.

That being said... I ALSO plan on taking advantage of some of the IDPA/USPSA shoots around the area in the future.

Mitch H.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you want feedback or not David? If not, then don't post a poll or ask for feedback. The only other choice would be to grow up and accept my comments for what they are, constructive feedback/criticism.

Is $20 high? Comparatively speaking, I suppose it is. But what do you get for that? Right off the bat, you get a chance at winning a prize worth 2.5 times more than the match fee. What other local club is awarding anything? No one is even offering trophies or plaques, except for maybe one small, unaffiliated club.

You get moving targets. They charge you, they retreat and they move laterally. I don't recall the last time seeing that anywhere short of a Nationals venue. (much less on the same stage!)

You get different targets. Some are life-size pictures of real people in real situations. Some hold hostages, some are pointing a gun at you. I can't recall the last time I saw those at a match, either. As things progress, you'll have to identify a threat before shooting it.....and other ideas I have....:D

I don't get the "I want to shoot more" coupled with "I'd like it better if it were IDPA sanctioned." Those two thoughts don't really go together. If it were IDPA sanctioned, total match rounds could easily be less than 24 rds.......but because it's sanctioned, suddenly round count doesn't matter?

Comparing an indoor facility with two bays to an outdoor facility with 7 or more bays isn't realistic. It is what it is.

Ok, so what is it ? It's a match that presents seldom or never before encountered challenges that the shooter has to solve the best way he can. Ideally, he'll do it with his carry gun, so he can see how well he can handle a given situation with it.

If you insist on high round count, 7 stages or more with lots of steel that you can shoot with your racegear.......then maybe this isn't the match for you.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First of all, I don't see how addressing some of the issues you brought up makes it seem like I'm unwilling to hear constructive criticism. I'm simply presenting the other side of the coin.

While we're on that topic, "constructive criticism" generally means "promoting improvement." IE; state a problem then suggest a viable solution. Post #74 only stated problems. (Match fee too high, round count too low) Becoming affiliated with USPSA/IDPA wouldn't affect the match fee or round count in a positive way. (fee might increase, round count might go down)

Second of all, when I used the word "you" in post #70, I meant it as a generic "you," ie; ANYONE. I was not specifying, YOU, Mitch Harrington.

Some folks may think $20 is too high a match fee. I pointed out some of the things that the extra $5 buys that you can't/don't get anywhere else.

Some folks may complain that they don't get to shoot 150 rds at this match like they do at OKC Gunclub. I pointed out that was really an "apples and kumquats" comparison. It's like saying "These tacos suck, because I really wanted a steak instead."

Some folks might be more attracted to the match if it were USPSA/IDPA sanctioned. I pointed out that wanting a high round count, but then dismissing a high round count if it were IDPA sanctioned didn't compute with me.

If some folks insist on shooting a high round count match that's IDPA sanctioned, costs less, has lots of steel, 7 or more stages and they can use all-out racegear, then maybe that person won't find the Heartland match to be the one for them.

Only "you" can decide if any of this applies to "you." (again, generic "you" is used here)

I'll post developments about this match as they happen, for those interested.

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... sounds like someone wanted to produce a fun night with a chance to expand some defensive skills without the drudgery of "training".
Stock guns, mild mods... the stuff we really carry in the gear we actually use... what's not to like? All in a setting without the hassle of all those "rules" we get in sanctioned matches.
50, 75 rounds? About right and affordable for us folks without a Dillon press who like to practice with major caliber iron.

The only reason I have not shot down here is my child care issues on Sunday.. but I will be open most of the summer. Keep it simple and I will come down to play. $20 bucks is a cheap date... as long as it's fun.

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... sounds like someone wanted to produce a fun night with a chance to expand some defensive skills without the drudgery of "training".
Stock guns, mild mods... the stuff we really carry in the gear we actually use... what's not to like? All in a setting without the hassle of all those "rules" we get in sanctioned matches.
50, 75 rounds? About right and affordable for us folks without a Dillon press who like to practice with major caliber iron.

Keep it simple and I will come down to play. $20 bucks is a cheap date... as long as it's fun.

You're exactly the kind of shooter we're looking for!

XDnOK

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, as a new competition shooter, everything thrown at me so far has been new, well thought out and fun. I have met quite a few people that are having a blast learning/honing their competition shooting skills and just flat having a good time with other people. So far not one of the conversations I have heard concerned match costs, now the cost of weapons and stuff comes up but it is in the range of saving/planing for the future. The location and quality facility enhances the experience and certainly makes it worth the entry fee. Obviously this is not an inexpensive sport but it is far from being the most expensive. I'm used to $30-50 dollar entry fee's and $10,000+ race bikes every year so this is cheap so far.

Personaly I don't think a "Rigid" sanction is warranted at this time however a move towards IDPA would be a good idea as this would allow flexibility while the match earns it's place in the Edmond/OKC area. I would like to see more than a 50 rd match but hey we are space limited so as long as it's fun that's all that matters.

I'm ready to do another one!

:friday:

Jefpainthorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dave... I feel your pain. Back in the day drag racing got to be a hassle... so we started bracket racing... run what ya' brung.. no featherbeading and if you "broke out" you lost... pretty simple. Now they have rules...ya know?

Showing horses in 4H? Used to be a kid could win class on a horse they trained with a little help in the side lot at home. Now... we have folks bringing $12K retired A class horses ....

Leave you shoot as simple as you can..."If you build it -they will come"

David E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Leave you shoot as simple as you can..."If you build it -they will come"

Yes, that's my thinking, also.

BTW, any chance of a match happening THIS weekend is zero. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up, but the interest just didn't materialize.

Latest posts

Top Bottom