Hello and looking for information

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Gregors

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I just joined and thought I should introduce myself. You see, I live in Buffalo, MN, yes Minnesota and I figure I have some explaining to do. The wife and I are getting really close to moving out of the “Great” state of Minnesota and from everything we read, Oklahoma sound just about right. I would love to get some input from y’all on what you think of OK, where we should visit, and where we should look for jobs, look for places to live. By the way, my use of “y’all” in the previous sentence, is that spelled correctly? Is it used correctly? Boy, I have so much to learn…

Anyway, as soon as we figure out this Lockdown 2.0 thing, we are planning a road trip / state visit (mid to late August probably). Not like a white house state visit, that is something completely different. On this road trip we want to find out what makes Oklahoma such a great place to live. Do you have public gun clubs/ranges where we could shoot? We will probably travel with a pistol or two just for fun.

A little background about us, mid 40s, married, no kids, dog, I am a veteran, well Air Force, I work with computers, IT Security and Engineering. We are newer gun owners and like target practice and are looking to get into long range rifle target shooting eventually. Our biggest hobby is Bourbon Hunting. We are always on the hunt for hard to find bourbons.

Thanks,
Gregors

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lots of outdoorsy stuff here. Lots of lakes, trails for hiking, campgrounds. Tons of hunting. Plenty of culture, music, if you like theater and such, we do. Airports to get you across the country in 1 leg.

Gun laws here (so far) are some of the best in the nation. Concealed is concealed, a few 'prohibited' places, but you can carry 99% of places regardless of if they are 'posted' by the owners, as long as you don't cause a problem.

And OK is the only state in the nation with an anti-red flag law. No removal of guns from a complaint without due process. That is becoming a much bigger worry in the future. Plenty of jobs in your field, as well. Cost of living is much lower than most places and probably more than a lot of places in your state. Winters are mild (compared to what you are used to), summers are hot, but lots of lakes to cool off in.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome :) Northeastern OK........trees, lakes, cattle, humid, little wind.......... Southeastern OK, trees, mountains, lakes, cattle, humid, little wind.............Southwestern OK.......Few trees, few people, little rainfall, windy, cattle, agriculture...........Northwestern OK.....few trees, fewest people, little rainfall, windy, cattle, lots of agriculture, mostly flat with some canyon country mixed in. AFB in Enid, Midwest City(OKC) and Altus. I grew up north of Tulsa, moved to the NW part of the state almost 30y ago and would never consider living on the eastern side again lol. There are indoor and outdoor ranges scattered across the state.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome. Oklahoma has a variety of choices when it comes to where you want to live and work....thriving and modern urban areas to extremely isolated rural communities. A lot will depend on what you want to do for work and how close you want to be to work.

Tulsa and OKC are in eternal competition for the "it" city.

Most public ranges are on wildlife management areas and require the purchase of a hunting/fishing license. The metro areas and some other communities have organized gun clubs with great shooting facilities. Most annual dues are not expensive at all. If you live out in the sticks you can probably just walk out back and let her rip...

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...I am a veteran, well Air Force, I work with computers, IT Security and Engineering.

Me too, me too, me too, and me too! Just been doing it longer is all.
I won't hold the bourbon thing against you. I'm more of a vodka person, lol.
Welcome to Oklahoma if you decide to come here.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be blunt, you're welcome as long as you don't turn the state purple or blue. ;)

If blue/democrat policies turned MN into a place you want to escape, then please make sure the place you end up doesn't have the same fate.

(sorry to be a jerk but I'm trying to prevent OK from having the problem TX has with Californians moving there and flipping it)

Latest posts

Top Bottom