Helmet ID

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I picked up this helmet from an old gentleman at a yard sale yesterday. He said that he has had it for many years and he thought it was Korean. I know nothing other than that about it and thought that maybe someone here could give me some input?

i867.photobucket.com_albums_ab235_oaffensive_1helmet.jpg

i867.photobucket.com_albums_ab235_oaffensive_1helmet1.jpg

i867.photobucket.com_albums_ab235_oaffensive_1helmet2.jpg

i867.photobucket.com_albums_ab235_oaffensive_1helmet3.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Army? USMC? And, thanks!

This particular style of helmet could have been used by either branch. Both were using M1's with Mitchell pattern covers, although USMC didn't use the neoprene helmet bands as frequently as the Army did. The USMC also tended to have older gear still being issued out of the supply chain than what the Army was receiving so it would not have been uncommon for WWII era helmets and liners to still be issued at that time. Because of this I would lean towards the helmet being more typical of an Army issued example.

This helmet could very well have been put together and not be exactly "as issued" during its service life. That being said, the set looks to have been together for quite some time and it looks completely correct for a helmet that would have been issued not long after the end of Vietnam...nice find.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
This particular style of helmet could have been used by either branch. Both were using M1's with Mitchell pattern covers, although USMC didn't use the neoprene helmet bands as frequently as the Army did. The USMC also tended to have older gear still being issued out of the supply chain than what the Army was receiving so it would not have been uncommon for WWII era helmets and liners to still be issued at that time. Because of this I would lean towards the helmet being more typical of an Army issued example.

This helmet could very well have been put together and not be exactly "as issued" during its service life. That being said, the set looks to have been together for quite some time and it looks completely correct for a helmet that would have been issued not long after the end of Vietnam...nice find.

So, I done OK for $20?

Latest posts

Top Bottom