Help! AK or AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NINEROUND

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hands down I'd go with the AR. In general they are more accurate, ammo is lighter so you can carry more of it (5.56,) customization options are endless, mil surp parts are plentiful at reasonable prices, and, if SHTF here stateside, that's what the majority of police departments also issue to their officers. Not to mention that family is used by the US military, so I'd hazard a guess that you'd have a better chance at finding ammo once the system broke down. They also have a lower recoil, allowing for faster shot follow-up, and can be very accurate at longer range.

Arguements can be made for the AK, but after having one before, I'd rather spend my money on the AR. Just my opinion.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You will end up with both. I like that I can be real mean to my AK and it won't complain. Love the modularity of my AR as well. There are just so many more options and the AR is really easy to work on and make it whatever you want it to be.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
AK, I have both but I'd grab the AK first for many reasons.
5.45 ammo is waaaay cheaper than 5.56.Personally, I have 7.62 AK's but I ve been buying ammo for 20 years and have a good supply.If I were just starting, it would be 5.45.
Accuracy does belong to the AR but you can easily hit(provided you're skilled),and terminate, a man out to 300yards.If you want to impress your buddies, hone your skills with the AR.It will cost you a crap load of money in ammo.
AR's function well when clean.AK's function well......always.
This topic will spark an endless debate so get a couple and shoot them and decide what's right for you.Like others have said, get both and soon.We never know when the political environment concerning "assault rifles" could change.Don't forget when you get your new rifle(s), get a good supply of mags and ammo.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also don't let the morons convince you that the AK is inaccurate. These accuracy problems stem from idiots that are firing Century Arms WASR10s with crap surplus ammo and then comparing that group with their AR firing high quality or match ammo. If you get your self a high quality AK (Arsenal or one built by some other reputable builder) and shoot high quality ammo, it can and will hang with an AR. Will it out shoot an AR? No probably not, but the difference at 100-400 yards negligible. Anything past 400 yards and you should probably be using .308 or similar.

Also the problems with ergonomics and lack of accessories is pretty much a thing of the past with the AK. All the major manufacturers now have all kinds of accessories or replacement parts to make your rifle fit you. Anything you can get for you AR you can now get an equivalent for you AK. My personally favorites are the Texas Weapons System Dog Leg Rail and the Midwest Industries hand guard rail.

But for me the Ace in the Hole will always be the near perfect AK action (IMO). Reliability and simplicity at it's finest. While the AR is a great platform, it will always lose against the AK in that facet. For me that is and always will be the deciding factor and why I will always grab an AK over an AR when presented with the option.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also don't let the morons convince you that the AK is inaccurate. These accuracy problems stem from idiots that are firing Century Arms WASR10s with crap surplus ammo and then comparing that group with their AR firing high quality or match ammo. If you get your self a high quality AK (Arsenal or one built by some other reputable builder) and shoot high quality ammo, it can and will hang with an AR. Will it out shoot an AR? No probably not, but the difference at 100-400 yards negligible. Anything past 400 yards and you should probably be using .308 or similar.

Also the problems with ergonomics and lack of accessories is pretty much a thing of the past with the AK. All the major manufacturers now have all kinds of accessories or replacement parts to make your rifle fit you. Anything you can get for you AR you can now get an equivalent for you AK. My personally favorites are the Texas Weapons System Dog Leg Rail and the Midwest Industries hand guard rail.

But for me the Ace in the Hole will always be the near perfect AK action (IMO). Reliability and simplicity at it's finest. While the AR is a great platform, it will always lose against the AK in that facet. For me that is and always will be the deciding factor and why I will always grab an AK or AR when presented the option.

^^All this.Please remember that the AK is not a "barbie for men" ,as the AR has been refered to.It's is a fighting rifle in pure form, adding a lot of ancillary items may or may not improve it.Keep mods to minimum.If you get an AR, do what ever you want to, but remember, you have to carry all that crap when you're fighting and every pound counts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom