Help! AK or AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefenux

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Skiluvr03 said:
I know this is personal preference but I just can't make up my dang mind. I've always wanted an AK and now all the buzz is over AR's and I know AR's are supposed to be more accurate, but something about an AK still is pulling at me. I think an improved AK, a Israeli Galil would be better but heard they were real expensive. I know with an AK, you need to move the rear site more rearward to improve accuracy twofold. What do you think, AK or AR???

Personally, I'd pick the AR. I prefer the fit of the AR. I also have all the tools to work on it and heavily modify it, but I don't for an AK.

However, from what you said, I'd recommend a good, quality AK like the Arsenal. It sounds like the AK is what you really want. You don't want to spend a bunch of money on something you're not sure you want. For the price of a low to mid range AR, you can buy a higher end AK.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the Zombie Appocolypse, of course, lol. Every man, or woman should have an AK and/or AR. Thanks for all the replies so far!

Zombie apocalypse, get a 10/22.
I would say get both. I got an AK first, never moved the rear sight back though. I can hit a 600 yard target with my AK with iron sights. Then I got an ar, haven't hit the 600 yards target yet, and I have a nice scope on it. If you want something to put a bunch of aftermarket stuff on I would get the ar. If you want to keep it pretty simple go AK. Not that you can't upgrade an AK, but I saw no need to on mine. Both are great firearms to.own. I'm sure you will be happy with either, I'm also sure later on you will buy the other.

My AK is a cheap Romanian wasr 10 built by century, I had a norinco mak90, but sold it to get the ar. I am happy with my AK.

tacmedic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AK no question about it. But you haven't made a mistake with a good AR either.

Comparisons...
AR prom queen - AK biker chick
AR porche - AK farm truck

Training is more important than make or model...AR had lots of snap on gear to compensate for lack of training.

HerkyBird

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
AK, for sure.

1 - 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 are cheaper than .223/5.56
2. - An AK will never quit. Shoot an AR long enough without cleaning and you'll turn into a single shot rifle...if you're lucky
3. - ARs have lower recoil resulting in faster follow up shots. You won't need a follow up shot with 7.62x39.
4. - While ARs are more customizable, you can put anything you'll need on an AK. You should be stockpiling ammo, anyway. Not customizing Barbie.
5. - AKs are less expensive. I paid $400 for my WASR. Don't let people talk you out of a WASR, either. Yes, there are some crap ones out there, but good ones too. Just gotta know what you're looking for.
6. - Accuracy? All you should be worried about is sub-MOZ groups. (Minute-of-Zombie)

Also, whoever suggested the 7.62x39 AR just gave you the absolute worst idea in the world. IF you can find magazines, they don't work reliably. Stick with what the platforms are designed for. If you get an AR, get .223. If you get an AK, get 7.62 or 5.45.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep the key with the WASRs is to buy them in person and not sight unseen over the net. If you can inspect it properly before the purchase, then a WASR will be just as awesome as any other AK.

Oh and even though I'm not a huge fan of either platform, I'd probably even take a Mini-14 over an AR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom