Help! AK or AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep the key with the WASRs is to buy them in person and not sight unseen over the net. If you can inspect it properly before the purchase, then a WASR will be just as awesome as any other AK.

Oh and even though I'm not a huge fan of either platform, I'd probably even take a Mini-14 over an AR.
I will always have my Mini-14. It will eat anything and never quit spitting it out.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can only speak for myself and I have both platforms.

Let's say the cotton pickin' Ruskies had attacked and the Wolverines were forming up. If they had stockpiles of ARs and AKs with ammo for each, I'd grab an AK.

Having said that, I'd need to be in a lot better shape than I am currently to make it more than 2 days in the Wolverines, irregardless of what type of rifle I was carrying.

Last edited:

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They are BOTH great rifles and you would be well served by either of them. Anyone who thinks that one is vastly superior to the other is being delusional. You need to try to shoot both and see which one YOU prefer. What may be a pro for me may be a con for you. Pick what YOU like best, not what a bunch of other folks prefer.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The claims of the unreliable AR15 are greatly exaggerated. Much like the claims of an inaccurate AK.

As far as which one to grab at TEOTWAWKI, whichever one I have more mags and ammo for.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tacmedic said:
AK no question about it. But you haven't made a mistake with a good AR either.

Comparisons...
AR prom queen - AK biker chick
AR porche - AK farm truck

Training is more important than make or model...AR had lots of snap on gear to compensate for lack of training.
Since you put it that way, it's settled! I'm getting an AK! Thanks everyone for the great comments and discussions. I knew ya'll could help me. BTW, Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all the Veterans that make/made my freedom possible. God Bless you all!!!

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i just dumped my kalashnikovs for a LWRC M6 and a Trijicon Acog TA31F-G. I'm soo much happier!
I like having a mag release button & a solid optics mounting rail.

I only wanted the LWRC because they are kings of the short stroke piston M4/M16 platforms. It like a really modular accurate AK with a sweet NiCorr barrel.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
but...the AK is an A+ no bull-**** warriors weapon. If you get one just make sure you get a really good chrome lined barrel cuz im sure you'll be shooting corrosive surplus for practice.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I have been casually looking at ARs, but after reading this entire thread, I am now considering getting an AK.

I have shot the AK-74 a few times, and had a chance to buy one from a friend, but passed on it.

I have always had a problem getting past the "Russian" issue, but I sure can't afford an Israeli Galil.

The vz 58 looks like a good option, also.

Now I have some research to do.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
MrShooter said:
but...the AK is an A+ no bull-**** warriors weapon. If you get one just make sure you get a really good chrome lined barrel cuz im sure you'll be shooting corrosive surplus for practice.
Chrome-lined, a tip worth its weight in gold, thank you!

Latest posts

Top Bottom