Help! AK or AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I havnt shot one before. Do the magazines feed reliably? They look interesting.

I got the sights in from Sig. I took it out today and got it sighted in. I was able to shoot a group that was about 4" at 100 yards with open sights. I didn't have anything to rest it on except the range bag. I've never been able to get an AK to shoot that tight at that distance.

I did a little filing and fitting on the magazines before I took it out. Some of the magazines I had were really tight and were hard to remove. I dremeled the ledge on the rear of the magazine where it catches the paddle mag lever. I got them to the point I could press on the paddle lever with my thumb and remove the mag with just a little effort.
Zero feeding or ejection problems. Good for a left handed shooter too. It threw the brass forward and to the right about 10 feet.

Cowboy2000

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I went through this whole trip myself, not long ago. I chose the AK first because I could tell right away I take one apart and put it back together easily. Thirty minutes after I got home with my first ak, I was able field strip it just by discovery and trial and error. I don't I can do that with an ar. I still want an ar, the accuracy on ar is quite stunning, I shot paint buckets through my buddy's ar in the first ten shots from 150 yards away my first time on at with optics. I will get an ar eventually but for starting out the ak is easy to understand and learn. I put a leatherwood red dot on my ak and I can easily hit a paper plate target from 100 yards away, my shot placement is not one moa but close to hurt somebody if need be. Bottom line starting with the simpler gun (ak) works for me. Plus ammo is cheaper.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went ahead and got a saiga AK and picked it up the other day, but then went on 12 hour shifts and didn't have time to shoot it. Well, I have days off now and I finally got to shoot it. It is the best and most fun rifle I ever had the pleasure of shooting! The accuracy was amazing too. I'm looking forward to doing the 922r mods and after much reading, im confident that will be easy. Thanks to all those that helped with my decision!

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went ahead and got a saiga AK and picked it up the other day, but then went on 12 hour shifts and didn't have time to shoot it. Well, I have days off now and I finally got to shoot it. It is the best and most fun rifle I ever had the pleasure of shooting! The accuracy was amazing too. I'm looking forward to doing the 922r mods and after much reading, im confident that will be easy. Thanks to all those that helped with my decision!

Saigas are great rifles! What caliber is yours chambered in? When you say 922r mods do you mean converting it?

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Professionals carry an AR. Rebels, pirates and insurgents carry AKs.

Get an AR . . . If you ever really NEED an AK you'll be able to find one laying on the ground next to a corpse full of 5.56 holes.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saigas are great rifles! What caliber is yours chambered in? When you say 922r mods do you mean converting it?
Yes, they are great rifles indeed! I've been doing tons of research and I am blessed that I got lucky enough to pick the right one. I bought one not knowing squat about them. It just so happened I got a 7.62 made in 2009 in the IZ factory in Russia and sent to Arsenal in Las Vegas. It has the dimples, threaded barrel, etc... Yes, when I say conversion, I mean making it legal by adding more USA parts to get the foreign count down so I can shoot Hi-cap mags. I will be starting off by adding a Stock and pistol grip, moving the firing control group forward, and adding a bullet guide to accept mil-surp Mags. Think I mentioned it earlier, I could have paid extra and got one with it all done, but glad I'm going this route cause it doesn't freak the wife out spending so much at one time on just the rifle and can spread the parts out, and, I am getting an intimate relationship with my rifle doing everything myself, ROFL.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Professionals carry an AR. Rebels, pirates and insurgents carry AKs.

Get an AR . . . If you ever really NEED an AK you'll be able to find one laying on the ground next to a corpse full of 5.56 holes.
I'm a Rebel, and everybody and their momma has an AR. I will get one later, or get the kids one to play with, lol.

C

Coda

I would say AR, the sheer amount of things you can do to a AR is amazing! Plus I think they look better all tacticooled out. But nothing wrong with a clean AK-74 IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom