Help! Can't find Statute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of an argument with someone in Nevada. He said a person came towards him with a knife and he presented his pistol and made the guy stand-down until law enforcement showed-up. I told him we had a fine line in Oklahoma where we can't brandish our weapon, if we pull it out, we have to use it. We can't use our firearm to deter the threat by means of scaring them away, or making a citizens arrest. I have looked and looked in the SDA Book for the vague ruling on this, but I can't find it now. Does anybody know where it is? What is your thoughts on the above scenario?

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You would have to have the "right" to utilize (fire in self defense) it before you can "point" it at someone.
But the is no requirement to "use it if you pull it"

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of an argument with someone in Nevada. He said a person came towards him with a knife and he presented his pistol and made the guy stand-down until law enforcement showed-up. I told him we had a fine line in Oklahoma where we can't brandish our weapon, if we pull it out, we have to use it. We can't use our firearm to deter the threat by means of scaring them away, or making a citizens arrest. I have looked and looked in the SDA Book for the vague ruling on this, but I can't find it now. Does anybody know where it is? What is your thoughts on the above scenario?
Your friend is a wise man. You need to study your state statue

posted via Tapatalk

BryanDP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I told him we had a fine line in Oklahoma where we can't brandish our weapon, if we pull it out, we have to use it.

I think you have probably misconstrued an SDA instructor saying something along the lines of "If you present your weapon you should be ready to use it." There is no requirement to shoot someone stated in Oklahoma law, thank goodness.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In fact the opposite is true, if you pull your gun and the person were to drop the knife and no longer present a threat you can't shoot them legally. YOU CAN'T SHOOT SOMEONE WHO IS NO LONGER A THREAT.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
In fact the opposite is true, if you pull your gun and the person were to drop the knife and no longer present a threat you can't shoot them legally. YOU CAN'T SHOOT SOMEONE WHO IS NO LONGER A THREAT.

Making the assumption that someone who is unarmed (or even "apparently unarmed") is not a threat can be a deadly mistake.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's why I said no longer present a threat not just dropped the knife. Bottom line is at any point they become a no threat you can't shoot them
Assuming you haven't already
But to say any time I draw I have to shoot will get you a nice prison stay. There are many scenario wher e you may need to draw but not fire

Latest posts

Top Bottom