Help! Can't find Statute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
But to say any time I draw I have to shoot will get you a nice prison stay. There are many scenario wher e you may need to draw but not fire

I agree wholeheartedly. I also consider someone a threat if they are behaving in a threatening manner, and I have no problem being able to articulate in a court of law how easily a man could be completely incapacitated or even outright killed by a single lucky punch.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There used to be a big argument over brandishing and I would have done the same thing as that one guy did by not shooting when the threat was stopped, but how would you prove there was a threat? The guy could call the cops and say that you're walking around scaring people with your gun and you tell the cop, well, he pointed a knife at me - the cop could go either way. I guess you would just have to hope he/she isn't a Hillary supporter

Eagle Eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO there is not enough evidence to prosecute (without a reasonable doubt).
Anyways, how likely is it that a mugger/attacker is going to call the police???

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. There used to be a big argument over brandishing and I would have done the same thing as that one guy did by not shooting when the threat was stopped, but how would you prove there was a threat? The guy could call the cops and say that you're walking around scaring people with your gun and you tell the cop, well, he pointed a knife at me - the cop could go either way. I guess you would just have to hope he/she isn't a Hillary supporter

Sure, he could call the cops. But you would have already called and they were on the way, right?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These both relate to "pointing" a firearm. I don't see anything that says to actually pull the trigger if drawn. There may be others that I haven't found.

▼ Title 21 - Crimes And Punishments
§ 21-1279 - Misdemeanor Pointing A Firearm.
MISDEMEANOR POINTING A FIREARM

Except for an act of self-defense, it shall be unlawful for any person to point any pistol or any other deadly weapon whether loaded or not, at any other person or persons. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1280 of this title.

Any person convicted of violating the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act may be subject to an administrative violation as provided in Section 1280 of this title.

R.L. 1910, § 2553. Amended by Laws 1995, c. 272, § 33, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Laws 2013, c. 171, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2013.

And this one,

§ 21-1289.16 - Felony Pointing Firearms.
FELONY POINTING FIREARMS

It shall be unlawful for any person to willfully or without lawful cause point a shotgun, rifle or pistol, or any deadly weapon, whether loaded or not, at any person or persons for the purpose of threatening or with the intention of discharging the firearm or with any malice or for any purpose of injuring, either through physical injury or mental or emotional intimidation or for purposes of whimsy, humor or prank, or in anger or otherwise, but not to include the pointing of shotguns, rifles or pistols by law enforcement authorities in the performance of their duties, members of the state military forces in the performance of their duties, members of the federal military reserve and active military components in the performance of their duties, or any federal government law enforcement officer in the performance of any duty, or in the performance of a play on stage, rodeo, television or on film, or in defense of any person, one's home or property. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.17 of this title.

Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section after having been issued a handgun license pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act shall have the license revoked and shall be subject to an administrative fine of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), upon a hearing and determination by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation that the person is in violation of the provisions of this section.

Added by Laws 1971, c. 159, § 16, emerg. eff. May 24, 1971. Amended by Laws 1995, c. 272, § 53, eff. Sept. 1, 1995; Laws 2012, c. 259, § 20, eff. Nov. 1, 2012.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's why I said no longer present a threat not just dropped the knife. Bottom line is at any point they become a no threat you can't shoot them
Assuming you haven't already
But to say any time I draw I have to shoot will get you a nice prison stay. There are many scenario wher e you may need to draw but not fire

i.e. see Jerome Ersland

Latest posts

Top Bottom