Help! Can't find Statute

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Except for an act of self-defense, it shall be unlawful for any person to point any pistol or any other deadly weapon whether loaded or not, at any other person or persons. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable as provided in Section 1280 of this title."

This part of the statute posted from above should answer your question. If pointing a deadly weapon immediately takes care of the threat you are trying to self-defend from, you should be covered. Just do not be too complacent. Sometimes he who snoozes looses. Just my opinion.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A well known local lawyer used to say in CC classes "the rule is, you touch your gun, somebody dies".
I think his point was that the only time you can legally draw your gun and point it at someone is if you are in immediate danger of great bodily harm or death and your gun is the only way to stop that. If that's the case, you should shoot the bad guy.
Of course real life doesn't always work out so pretty. If the bad guy has time so see you go for your gun he could back off, then you shouldn't shoot him.
All this can happen in just a few seconds, processing reality that fast gets messy.

Skiluvr03

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your responses; I really appreciate it. I think, and I could be wrong, that the handbook has been revised since the first one. I remember it being more vague and I think we even had a big debate on this subject years ago. Keep your powder dry and be safe and vigilant

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The OK Self Defense Law does not say anywhere that if you pull your gun u have to use it.
What it does say that you can pull your gun when you are in imminent of death or great bodily harm.
The attitude is that you are pulling it because someone is trying to kill or seriously injure you, and your intent is to shoot.

Nowhere does the law say you can pull your gun to detain someone, is this is the reason you pulled your gun it is not backed up in the law and the DA could take the path that you pulled your gun illegally.

Your friend is wrong in the wording of 'you must use it'.

Latest posts

Top Bottom