Help identifying a 7X57 mauser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EP1985

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 7X57 Mauser that I have no idea what kind it is the only marking on it is a R on the barrel. Any info would be great
image.jpgimage.jpg

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With no more to go on than that, you're not likely to get much in the way of ID here. It's a Bubba. Could be a cut-down G98 that was once a Russian capture. Don't put any money on that answer.

Bump this up on Monday and you may find some other answers.

cz_partizan

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess and its just a guess is that its a model 1916 Spanish mauser. I say that because of the bent bolt (if original and not bubba) and the blank receiver with no markings or crest. The Spanish reworked most of their rifles at different points and scrubbed the original markings off, usually just putting new serial numbers on the rifle.

Without more pictures its hard to tell. Is there a small hole to let gas escape on the left side of the receiver? Is the bolt cock on close or cock on opening? If its cock on closing, you should feel a slight resistance when closing the bolt like on an enfield.

EP1985

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My guess and its just a guess is that its a model 1916 Spanish mauser. I say that because of the bent bolt (if original and not bubba) and the blank receiver with no markings or crest. The Spanish reworked most of their rifles at different points and scrubbed the original markings off, usually just putting new serial numbers on the rifle.

Without more pictures its hard to tell. Is there a small hole to let gas escape on the left side of the receiver? Is the bolt cock on close or cock on opening? If its cock on closing, you should feel a slight resistance when closing the bolt like on an enfield.
Yes there is a small hole to let gas out and yes it's a cock on closing

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go on gunbroker and check out Spanish Mauser. You'll find a lot of them there and you can get some idea. I noticed one for $275 that was a really good-looking one. That is a pretty high price for a 1916.

One thing you have going for you is that it is 7x57. Many are 7.62 Nato and subject to a lot of conjecture about ammo choice.

Going against you is the "bubba" factor.

I sold a very nice un-bubba-ed one in 7.62 about 2 years ago for $175. Had it been 7x57, I would have kept it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom