Help in picking a good AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another question I have, should I put a scope or what other sights/optics should I put on my ar?

None. My advice would be to but some Daniel Defense 1.5's or a Troy flip up on it and learn to use your rifle with irons. There is no sense in putting optics on your AR till you learn to run it and what you like. As for your AR I would get a BCM midlength with the bolt carrier group, a BCM blem lower, MOE midlength handguards, an iron sight and your GTG. Failing that the smartgunner link is also a good way to go.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
None. My advice would be to but some Daniel Defense 1.5's or a Troy flip up on it and learn to use your rifle with irons. There is no sense in putting optics on your AR till you learn to run it and what you like. As for your AR I would get a BCM midlength with the bolt carrier group, a BCM blem lower, MOE midlength handguards, an iron sight and your GTG. Failing that the smartgunner link is also a good way to go.

THIS.

You get a top-shelf piece of equipment that you know will work and you get to save some money too.

Direct from Bravo Company:
BCM cosmetic blem lower receiver group with no stock - $265
BCM midlength 16" upper receiver group (on sale, still) - $385

Figure on another $150 for the stock and hand guard of your choice plus a simple rear iron sight. If you are thrifty or can wheel n' deal this gets even cheaper.

That's $800 so far, not too shabby. Figure the last $200 could be well spent on mags (you would want 3-8. pmags are highly recommended.) and ammo to start shooting. This is a very good basic system and it's something you can really 'grow into' as you become a better shooter and figure out what does and does not work for you.

Oh, and don't forget lube. Carbines, like women, run better when wet! :hey3:

Ek

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And before anybody calls ******** on me.

[Broken External Image]

The black one is mine it started out just how I described and grew into what it is today.

The brown one is a christmas gift for my girlfriend. While it has a few extras on it now the gun started out very simple, cost effective and basic.

BCM Cosmetic Blem Lower Group - $265
BCM LightWeight Middy Upper - $385
Magpul MOE Grip -$20
Magpul Midlength MOE HG -$34
Magpul MOE Stock -$0 (Trade from a buddy. :preocc: )
Magpul MBUS -$55
VTAC Sling -$0 (Parts box. I pack-rat like nobody's business! ;) )

I now have a basic, functional carbine for her to grow into for $759 + whatever the cost to transfer the lower receiver was. That final $241 is more than sufficient for magazines, lube and a basic load of ammo.

Your mileage may vary.

Ek

Gonewithwind

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, that is a really good deal on the del-ton! I might be sold on that one for my beginner ar then upgrade later on.

My wife and I recently purchased the DEL-TON package last week. The parts were easy enough to put together. So far have only but about 60 rounds down the tube, but works/looks great, especially for our first; And she's not quite sure how she wants it to look/furniture. End statement: Very happy with purchase. Looks, feels, operates well. I'm sure we will continue to be very happy, and by purchasing the kit and putting together yourself, I learned changing furniture/upgrades/style is and should be easier than I ever expected. I have to admit was a little intemidated at first.

Hope this helps!

Gonewithwind

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dig my Spikes M4LE.....Its a damn champ..........I shoot the **** out of it and it has yet to have any issue at all. I have been in three rifle schools and have not had one failure at all while I have seen other *high end* makes 10-7 after 500 rds in the day.

complete rifle is less than 800.00 bucks.....

still BCM is an AWESOME choice......

BCM offers a crap load of choices and the have the clout to back it up

claricSTi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a huge bcm fan but will be buying a dd upper from smart gunner later this week. With the cold hammer forged barrel and rail choices it's the obvious winner. I would love to pick up a bcm but to get one with the same specs would be noticeably more expensive.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whats your thoughts on Bushmaster???

:puke:

Some run, too many dont't. If you are stuck with it there are some things that can be done to make it run. If all the gun needs to do is sit in the closet and have photos taken of it for posting on the 'net it isn't a bad choice. If you actually want or need to shoot it you would be much better off going elsewhere.

I started out with a bushy and had issues. Here's what I did before taking it to class.

Replace entire BCG.
Replace action spring.
Replace the stock trigger. ( the engagement surface was too soft and the damn thing would fire doubles :saywhat: )
Reamed the chamber from .223 Rem to 5.56 NATO (the barrel was marked as 5.56 NATO... it wasn't true.)

After all this I didn't have any functional issues but there were still gremlins.

During a 3 day carbine class in the middle of the afternoon of the second day when we were shooting for score my zero disappeared. Rounds that had been dead center not five minutes before were now consistently landing 9 inches high and left at 50 yards.

You could buy a bushmaster, you might even get a functional one. I hear that they are out there. Is it really worth it to do so when there are so many better options out there?

Ek

millsou19

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I recently purchased the DEL-TON package last week. The parts were easy enough to put together. So far have only but about 60 rounds down the tube, but works/looks great, especially for our first; And she's not quite sure how she wants it to look/furniture. End statement: Very happy with purchase. Looks, feels, operates well. I'm sure we will continue to be very happy, and by purchasing the kit and putting together yourself, I learned changing furniture/upgrades/style is and should be easier than I ever expected. I have to admit was a little intemidated at first.

Hope this helps!

Gonewithwind

So it is relatively easy to put together and switch out parts on the del-ton? Or for any other ar?

Latest posts

Top Bottom