Help in picking a good AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good ar for a price that won't break the bank. I would say less than $1000. I'm not overly familiar with ar's and would appreciate any help! Thanks

Get a S&W, DPMS, Stag, Rock River, whatever. Building AR15's isn't rocket science. They are all good. Once you get it you need to come shoot a match with us and enjoy it.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would go DPMS their barrels seem to give the best accuracy for the money.....yeah I know it isn't "chart worthy", but I refuse to be driven by a Mil Spec from 1958. I like SS barrels and I don't need no chrome except on my rims! KurtM

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AHHH Kanight!! you didn't fix ANYTHING!! Might I remind you that NOTHING Mag-Pul makes is "Mil Spec", The cool uber 3 groove polygonal rifled barrels that Noveske uses ARE NOT "Mil Spec", Matter of fact The alloys almost all builders use these days are NOT Mil Spec....Well I could go on but I think what you can gleen out of this O Might Knight, is that things are much better in the Now, and worshiping the "Mil Spec" of 1958, is just like telling me how great your 1958 Chevy Belaire is compaired to a 2010 Camaro...You know the one with the NON mil spec disc braks, air bag, twice the horse power...etc....well maybe you don't get it. Hazaha!

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AHHH Kanight!! you didn't fix ANYTHING!! Might I remind you that NOTHING Mag-Pul makes is "Mil Spec", The cool uber 3 groove polygonal rifled barrels that Noveske uses ARE NOT "Mil Spec", Matter of fact The alloys almost all builders use these days are NOT Mil Spec....Well I could go on but I think what you can gleen out of this O Might Knight, is that things are much better in the Now, and worshiping the "Mil Spec" of 1958, is just like telling me how great your 1958 Chevy Belaire is compaired to a 2010 Camaro...You know the one with the NON mil spec disc braks, air bag, twice the horse power...etc....well maybe you don't get it. Hazaha!

Most are valid points in your favor, especially the dig on magpul. ;)

That being said, as somebody who's worked at a range for a while, of the brands I see consistent problems with DPMS is right up there. Maybe they make good barrels, I don't know. What I've seen of their guns though has sucked.

As far as this 'Milspec of 1958' you seem to keep bringing up, the time when the M-16 was being developed and brought into service has little to do with the guns of today. I believe the last time the TDP for the M-16/M-4 got updated was in the late '90s or early '00s but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm going to start asking around though.

Ek

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah but the reason for mil-spec is alot different for the general public whos rifle will not see a war time situation to where the rifle will fire thousands of rounds daily. Only then could I see a civilian rifle really need to be mil-spec at that time.

Mil-spec means it will meet military conditions which is the most extreme any weapon will ever go through.

I know my S&W AR15 is not a true mil-spec, but the odds of me ever having to get into a several thousand round fire fight as slim to none and slim is out of town the last I heard.

As said most of the off the shelf AR's will be fine or go the build your own route. As long as the lower is a quality piece, doesnt have any core shift in it that would case pin openings to be off and as long as you use quality upper parts you will be fine.

I am seriously tempted to build my next AR15 myself. This way I control the budget and dont have parts left over that I need to sell down the road.

Latest posts

Top Bottom