1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Help Making a Brake out of an AK Krink style "Booster"

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing & Repairs' started by zghorner, Dec 1, 2020.

1. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    [​IMG]

I ordered a new Zastava ZPAP that should be here in a few days. It comes with a krinkov style muzzle device (pictured above) which originally these were used as a booster to increase recoil and improve cycling but this one is just an empty can sort of like a "fowarding device" aka "not do much of anything"

I stumbled across a picture of one of these with holes drilled in the top...

[​IMG]

And i thought "now thats interesting". I think it would be awesome to be able to keep a traditional AK style but get some compensating effect out of the piece.

My question is, What pattern would you recommend I drilled? I was planning on basically copying the above and drilling two holes off center so the blast isnt going straight up...but then i was thinking how the most effective comps I have used had side cutouts with nothing on top. Maybe 4 holes in a "V" pattern? I know there are some smart gun people on here so curious what you would suggest.

thanks.

2. StitchJones

StitchJones Sharpshooter

Personally I wouldn't go that route but if I was to drill it, it'd be a radial style.

It's going to make a loud firearm even louder. I'd put a pig or some other style forward blast diverter on it.

3. HFS

HFS Sharpshooter

Maybe shoot that new pistol both with and without the muzzle device and get a feel for what you're dealing with.
    Then as posted above, you might want something like the pig on the front end of it.

Fade2blue likes this.
  4. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Im used to comps on my ARs and concussion doesnt bother me much. Plus I usually shoot outdoors (not at ranges) so ruining range trips for people to the sides of me isnt an issue either.

My ARs with brakes are all 16-18" though not 10" like this AK...although i suspect ARs to produce more "concussion" than AKs having the blast that much closer to my face is surely going to be a factor. I'll take the advice above and shoot it with and without the krink booster before doing anything.

5. k4ylr

k4ylr Sharpshooter

Could always just get a 74 style brake. Probably worth tossing a KNS piston on it as well.

ssgrock3 and zghorner like this.
  6. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Trying to make the project as budget friendly as possible and save where I can. The krink can came with the pistol just looking to utilize what I can...plus I really dig the look. With gun + accessories I’m already over $1500 which is ridiculous to me considering the last AK pistol I bought was $400 new lol.

7. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    no but i ordered the SB triangle folder from midway last week...gun is going to be pretty sweet when finished.

Fade2blue and StitchJones like this.
  8. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I couldn’t handle a left folder...sam7sf kills me for this reason. Buy an SB and sell that CNC on armslist lol.

man I never really cared for Serb/zastava AKs but these zpaps are nice. My buddy got one a while back and sold me on it. RPK receiver and chrome lined barrel...wish they accepted combloc furniture but it is what it is.

9. HoLeChit

HoLeChit Semper Fidelis

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I suggest zenitco if you want to buy a real deal Eastern European brake for authenticities sake. If I am not mistaken they supply goodies to the Russian military.
    https://ivantactical.com/ Stocks a good variety. 9CAFD386-44DE-4BF0-A34C-2E5CC2E6316F.jpeg

Just don’t buy this. It literally hurts your teeth, even shot outdoors.

mr ed likes this.
  10. zghorner

zghorner Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    MacFromOK and HoLeChit like this.