Help me pick an evil black rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are just looking for something to plink with, go to PSA. You can get a rifle shipped for about $360 that will work fine. If you decide that you are not an AR person, you are not out much.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
They all go bang. The AR world is different than most. I've seen a PTAC upper from PSA outshoot a RR predator pursuit upper. The RR was mine and the guy at the trigger is a way better rifle shot than me!

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
a DD on average is cheaper than a LWRC, Cant say about, Larue or Noveske, but I do know they are crazy $$$

Heres a few more points to consider for pistons VS DI
1. If you don't like to clean your carbine, get a piston
2. DI is still a piston. The BCG is the piston, and the pressure between the BCG and Bolt can cause breakage, especially in carbine length gas systems. You don't have that problem with piston carbines/rifles
3. 99% of all piston designs are all the same short stroke system, with only slight differences. and they don't break. But they are marginally heavier than a DI. Adams makes the lightest which is 5oz heavier than a standard Colt LE66920

Another issue. Steel cased ammo. If you plan to shoot steel cased ammo, get a chrome lined barrel. Cases wont get stuck as quick as with nitrided or non chrome line barrels. If you plan to stick with brass case ammo, any barrel will do

For shooting paper and coyotes, Id recommend a PSA Freedom upper and one of their lowers or a complete rifle. THey are inexpensive but there is nothing cheap about the parts. PSAs lower parts kits are made by FN. The nitrided barrels are made by FN and so are the Premium BCGs. You can get all of that for $6 to $700. They are a steal, and will take abuse.

If you want the LWRC, again, go for it. Awesome rifles and the CS is top notch.

Not true.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not true.

Which part? I think maybe he just meant that the "piston like motion" of the BCG causes stress on components, especially in a carbine length system. I understand that it isn't really a piston as it isn't sealed via piston rings.

Edited for clarity and to show less dumbassery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom