Help w/ AR-15 Build List $1200 Budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
So a psa rifle is 99% equal to a colt?
Little-girl-from-side-eye-meme-all-grown-up.jpg

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is an incredible amount of satisfaction in building your own... and you don't end up with leftover parts laying around when you customize it later. In addition, when you build your own, you understand how it all works together, so troubleshooting any problems later is 1000% easier.

Just my $0.02.

I get that and if I don’t end up building the first one, I know I’ll build one eventually. My main goal for the first one is to get as much AR as I can with $1200, no matter if I build or buy one complete.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So a psa rifle is 99% equal to a colt?

I would not hesitate to put any of the PSA rifles I have owned through any course/ challenge of your colt, especially my FN barrel rifles. Plus I'm not scared of it getting put through it's courses, alot of colt owners are scared they may scratch their finish so they baby their rifles. My firearms are tools and I'm not scared to use them like it.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would not hesitate to put any of the PSA rifles I have owned through any course/ challenge of your colt, especially my FN barrel rifles. Plus I'm not scared of it getting put through it's courses, alot of colt owners are scared they may scratch their finish so they baby their rifles. My firearms are tools and I'm not scared to use them like it.
You shop at harbor freight don’t you?

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You shop at harbor freight don’t you?

Yep especially for the jack stands. Colts reputation is from a decade or longer ago when you had crap like vulcan arms attempting to make ARs. Yes 10 plus years ago I would absolutely agree that colt was a top dog. However in today's market they have fallen behind. Their build materials, barrels, LPKs, buffer systems etc. Are all mass produced in the same facilities that alot of other companies rifle parts are being produced. It's like a decade ago when people went apechit over red jacket firearms. If you read the build list it was no different than any other mid-tier rifle. But they (for the time being) had a reputation that made alot of people blind to the fact that they were dropping 1200$+ on a 600$ rifle. Same hype that has people paying over two grand for a colt. And no I'm not comparing colt to red jacket firearms, I was using it as an example.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Larue is a solid choice, personally if your not dead set on matching upper and lower, buy their upper and mbt trigger and build a lower yourself and you can likely save a little. That said 800 for an upper you could also look at bcm, sionics, or sons of liberty gun works.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did the OP mention what this rifle will be used for?

Casual plinking?
Hard use in training/duty environment?
Safe queen that gets fired a couple times a year?

Mission drives equipment. Any recommendations without considering intended use would be incomplete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom