Help with first Surplus Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been shopping around and looking for awhile, and have finally decided that I would like to purchase a surplus bolt action rifle for the pure fun of just shooting it. I've narrowed it down to these 2 rifles:

K98
M39 w/turn down bolt

I have some experience with the mosin (a buddies), but no experience with the K98. I was hoping some of y'all could help tell me the pluses and minuses of each rifle. I know the 54r surplus ammo is easier to find and cheaper than the 8mm. But that's about it.

If you could have only one of the above, which would you choose? Or would you choose something else entirely for a surplus bolt action? I would like to keep the cost of the rifle under $500.

Thanks,

Jake

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you talking the Finnish M39? I'd probably go with one of those over a K98 but the Mauser would certainly be fun too. The true German K98 has become a collector's item so the prices can get up there. If you want to mess around with an inexpensive 8mm you can go the Turk route but check the gun out closely first as there are some junkers out there.

The M39 will allow you to run cheap ammo with fairly impressive accuracy.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are you talking the Finnish M39? I'd probably go with one of those over a K98 but the Mauser would certainly be fun too. The true German K98 has become a collector's item so the prices can get up there. If you want to mess around with an inexpensive 8mm you can go the Turk route but check the gun out closely first as there are some junkers out there.

The M39 will allow you to run cheap ammo with fairly impressive accuracy.

I agree with Flatwins. And add that there are so many Mosins out there that you can inexpensively start a collection. And you'll eventually find one that has fantastic accuracy.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I might stick with the Fin, knowing that they are good to go and well below $500.

I haven't looked at the VZ-24's, but I was recently told to check out the Yugo M48. Any thoughts on the M48?

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
M48 usually have very good bores, are reasonably priced. I cant attest to there accuracy but its prolly not bad. I dont think they are an exact copy of a k98 but close enough for govt work.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Collection has to start with 91/30 Russian Mosin Nagant, high wall, war-time Izhy. If you can't learn to love it in all it's crudeness, simplicity and mediocre accuracy - mil surp is just not for you. This is the only right answer. Grow from there ... and yes, Finn Mosin are often very nice, M96s are still very affordable, K31 are cool, 1903 and 03A3 are patriotic, etc etc.

P.S. There are plenty "other" fine and super-fine Mausers NOT to get a f***ng Nazi gun - there is nothing special about them, they look like crap, they shoot like crap and demand a premium price because some pricks have a boner for Hitler.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If 500 is your budget get a K98 and a Mosin. You could get a 91/30,VZ24 and Japanese Arisaka. But if you are wanting a turned down bolt you should get a German K98. The controlled feed and robust design can't be beat. I certainly wouldnt suggest a Mosin refurbed 91/30 as someone's first milsurp. That first round of kicking the bolt open might turn someone off entirely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom