Help with first Surplus Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of all those so far mentioned, the M39 is the class act.

Very true. But you'll be hard pressed to find one with a bent bolt. I guess an extra bolt in sniper form would be nice. M39's aint cheap anymore though! They're just restocked and rebarrelled mosin's ultimately. I certainly wouldnt dissuade anyone from purchasing any type of milsurp based on what government was in power when they were manufactured. The model 98 design was around alot longer than Adolf's jack booted thugs. If you want a bent bolt design you are pretty limited to either a 1903, Lee Enfield, or a K98k. Unless you are lucky enough to find a Brazilian m954 in .30-06, they have a bent bolt and are K98k length. Also an Argentine 1909 but they are a little costly, perhaps there is a secret sect of collectors who have a boner for President José Figueroa Alcorta.

milsurp2.0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about:
M94 swede
M38 swede
M48 yugo
French MAS
British P14
P1917
Carcano

surely there is more ... where is preplexed when I need him?

Well the thing with the rifles you have posted is the 500 buck budget. The only M94 carbine starts out at 400 with a reserve(GB). Although there is a M38 starting at 479 with no reserve. Brazilian M954's can still be found for 250 or thereabouts and will be in .30-06, a common caliber. Yes the M48 and Carcano have turned down bolts but I think a first purchase shouldnt be a Carcano. Now an M48, meh. I would hold out for a Syrian with crest but if I had to have a yugo I would want the one with stamped trigger guard.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
surely there is more ... where is preplexed when I need him?

lol - you guys have this pretty well in hand! Like milsurp with the very distracting avatar said, an original M94 is probably going to be well outside the $500 budget, and so will most M1903's. If the OP has to have a bent bolt (presumably for a scope; otherwise, I don't know why as straight bolts work just fine) then with the $500 budget he's going to be limited to pretty much what's already been named here. If I were working with those two requirements, I'd look for a Swedish M38; if the bent bolt is to clear a scope, then I'd zero in on the K31. It doesn't have a bent bolt, but it's a straight-pull action so scope clearance isn't a big issue, is very accurate, and can be scoped easily with no permanent modifications. Heck, no modifications are needed at all - just bolt on a St. Marie scope mount in the receiver cut-out, attach a scope, and go to town.

Of course, it'd help if the OP has a reloading setup. If not... I'd look at rifles chambered for 30-06.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very true. But you'll be hard pressed to find one with a bent bolt. I guess an extra bolt in sniper form would be nice. M39's aint cheap anymore though! They're just restocked and rebarrelled mosin's ultimately. .
Not to even think about starting an argument, but to say they are just restocked and rebarreled Mosins is an oversimplification. They started life as M91's, not 91/30's. That may seem a trivial distinction, but virtually every M91 I've ever held in my hands was better than 90% of the 91/30's I ever saw. But more than that, they were converted by the Finns, who knew more than a little about making good rifles.

The action is far smoother than the normal Mosin, the sights are like night and day when compared, and they shoot lights out. They say, although I've never owned one, that the "B" barreled m39's are very near K31's and M96's in accuracy.

Hold a Russian Mosin in one hand and a Finnish M39 in the other and compare features. Given the option, you'll throw the 91/30 in the trash.

But, yes, they do cost more and are harder to find.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finns had very strict accuracy requirements from their rifles (1.5 MOA), at least till the Continuation War - after that anything goes: they reused Russian barrels and sights, even re-issued "P" barrels.

M39s will have superior barrel, redesigned trigger and hand-fitted by gunsmith. As far as sights go - I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is "night and day" (windage adjustment screw is nice) but it is notch and post after all.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone mentioned the Swede M38. They can be had for $350-$400 if shopped right and most all of them will have a bent bolt. Ammo is not nearly as easy to find as the 54R but they are great machines.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finns had very strict accuracy requirements from their rifles (1.5 MOA), at least till the Continuation War - after that anything goes: they reused Russian barrels and sights, even re-issued "P" barrels.

M39s will have superior barrel, redesigned trigger and hand-fitted by gunsmith. As far as sights go - I wouldn't go as far as to say that it is "night and day" (windage adjustment screw is nice) but it is notch and post after all.

Yeah, in my haste, I forgot about the trigger, perhaps the most important improvement of all.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. After reading y'alls replies and doing some more research, I think the M39 will fit the bill for what I am looking for. I'm actually looking at bidding on the one below. What do y'all think?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=304695526

Before going to Gunbroker, google Wholesale Guns & Ammo and check out their inventory. The proprietor has had a checkered past, but it's undeniable they have a wide variety of M39's for sale. That's where I got three of the four "Puolustuslaitos" marked M39's that were in my collection. I've long since gotten out of Mosins though, so don't ask :)

Oh, and I would not recommend a bent bolt with a Mosin. If you get a spent case stuck in the chamber - something that happens more often than you'd think, with milsurp x54R ammo - you'll be glad for the leverage afforded by the straight bolt. Especially if you have to whack the bolt with a 2x4 :shocked:

Latest posts

Top Bottom