Help with first Surplus Bolt Action

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Collection has to start with 91/30 Russian Mosin Nagant, high wall, war-time Izhy. If you can't learn to love it in all it's crudeness, simplicity and mediocre accuracy - mil surp is just not for you. This is the only right answer. Grow from there ... and yes, Finn Mosin are often very nice, M96s are still very affordable, K31 are cool, 1903 and 03A3 are patriotic, etc etc.

P.S. There are plenty "other" fine and super-fine Mausers NOT to get a f***ng Nazi gun - there is nothing special about them, they look like crap, they shoot like crap and demand a premium price because some pricks have a boner for Hitler.

My sentiments as well.

Jeff

jduff8505

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the record, I'd buy another Mosin before I bought a K98. But I want everything I have to be able to be an everyday shooter, so Mosin lends itself to that platform very well. The Mosin also has a much larger aftermarket following, there isn't much that you can't do with one. I'm going to do a sporterized, scoped and Timney triggered Mosin in the very near future and if it goes well it may be my go to big game gun.

Jeff

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go with the M39 and purchase your bent bolt body here (don't have him alter the original bolt):

http://www.mosinnagant.net/boltman/boltman.html

The Wanenmacher show is coming up in a few months and I'd be tempted to wait and pick something up that you can inspect in person. There's normally several Finns to choose from at fair prices. I found the '42 VKT in the photo below there last year and ended up picking it up from the same seller at an OKC RK Show a few weeks later.

i181.photobucket.com_albums_x97_mach_won_Slings049E.jpg

For $500 you could also get yourself into a PU sniper if you don't mind having a scoped rifle. My only other suggestion would be a Lee Enfield No 4 MK II which has an excellent bolt system and sights, but you would most likely need to reload for it as all of the affordable .303 surplus ammo has pretty much dried up.

Last edited:

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
AIM has some VZ-24's for <$300. The Czechs made a good Mauser. With you budget you could get a quantity of ammo too. Or for $500 you could get a VZ-24 and a 91/30. It usually works out that way anyway.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up getting an M39 and a K-31. I couldn't decide on one, so I bought both. I'll be picking up the K-31 this Saturday and I'm waiting on the M39 to come in through the mail. Thanks for all the help guys/gals, and I'll be sure to post pics when they come in. I don't know if my Finn will look as nice as coolhand's but it will get the job done.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I ended up getting an M39 and a K-31. I couldn't decide on one, so I bought both. I'll be picking up the K-31 this Saturday and I'm waiting on the M39 to come in through the mail. Thanks for all the help guys/gals, and I'll be sure to post pics when they come in. I don't know if my Finn will look as nice as coolhand's but it will get the job done.

Sounds good! You'll likely find that while the M39 shoots well, the K31 will run circles around it. It'd be hard today to duplicate the level of fit and finish, and the precision, of those Swiss carbines without spending thousands of dollars.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You did good. Get yourself a Swede and you'll have 3 of the best.

And, btw, if you use comparable ammo, don't be surprised if the M39 shoots pretty darn close to the K31.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I actually got to hold and check out the K31 and loved everything about it. It was a piece of art. I'm going to enjoy shooting it. I plan on buying GP-11 for the most part to shoot. However, I would like to get into reloading and might just start with this rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom