HiPower back after 16 months

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1911master

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. I agree with your assessment. Not seeing the pistol first hand, I'm not sure I like the thumb safety. It appears big for such a sleek pistol. I am glad you got it back

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice. I agree with your assessment. Not seeing the pistol first hand, I'm not sure I like the thumb safety. It appears big for such a sleek pistol. I am glad you got it back
I'm in agreement with @1911master on that humongous safety. I think it overpowers the looks of the pistol.
Remember, gents, we are talking about Hi Power safeties here. The stock "military" safety on the original BHP sucks, no way around that. The extended safety seen on the MKII and MKIII models is somewhat better, but still rather mushy. The extended safety that came on the later FEG clones is much, much better, with adequate surface area for easy engagement, and a much crisper feel. I've only briefly fiddled with a Don Williams safety (on one of surjimmy's BHP LWTs), but I thought it was a much better safety than the stock BHP units, being easier to engage/disengage.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember, gents, we are talking about Hi Power safeties here. The stock "military" safety on the original BHP sucks, no way around that. The extended safety seen on the MKII and MKIII models is somewhat better, but still rather mushy. The extended safety that came on the later FEG clones is much, much better, with adequate surface area for easy engagement, and a much crisper feel. I've only briefly fiddled with a Don Williams safety (on one of surjimmy's BHP LWTs), but I thought it was a much better safety than the stock BHP units, being easier to engage/disengage.

When I bought my Hi Power back in 1980, One of the things that I remember when I got it was that the safety sucked (and it wouldn’t feed ball ammo). Been very happy with the work Behlert did on my gun which included an extended safety. No too wide or too long.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[QUOTE="adamsredlines, post: 3484830, member: 40561" I may go by Cylinder and Slide next time I'm in the area and see if they'll let me see what their stuff is like.[/QUOTE]
I am sorry that your reworked BHP did not impress you much. The Hi Power trigger is a cipher. I've had good ones, bad ones, and really, really bad ones, all of it seemingly dependent on the luck of the draw. It is hard to get a really good trigger on the BHP, mostly due to the original design geometry. C&S will do a trigger job that includes a relocated sear lever (which necessitates another hole in the slide) and does change the geometry somewhat, resulting in what some believe is a better Hi Power trigger. The BHP will never have a trigger pull that approaches something like a good 1911 trigger, though. Good luck with your reworked Practical!

Latest posts

Top Bottom