Holographic sight vs red dot sight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Um, you’re gonna get a lot of answers here. Depends on what you plan on using your sight for. Many options that don’t cost what eotechs cost.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
EOThec, Aimpoint and Trijicon are expensive for couple of reason, name brand, have proven their self and quality that you can depend on. With a red dot you have the cylindrical / tunnel view with the holographic sites you have the open view. The Field of view and target acquisition is greatly improve with holographic sights . Some argue that battery life is better in the HS but I think is more to do with the electronics. As for which one is better depend on what is going to be used for and user preference. dlbleak, is right there are many options that don't cost as much.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I put a vortex venom on a 458 Socom. Great sight with some features that are nice. I had some gift cards so probably would have bought something a little less costly otherwise. Primary Arms,Burris, holosun and many others are fine options too.

ef9turbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Depends on what you plan on using your optic for will depend on if you want to spend more money. My optics are ran on rifles that are for duty use, so I run an Aimpoint H1 on my issued patrol rifle (was running an EOtech 512 until the EOtech issues), and LPVO's on my personal DM rifle that is in my car. All my other optics on my AR's are LPVO's.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I run an Eotech because I've found it works best for me. One big difference between the two is battery life. Nothing beats an Aimpoint in that department. If you have an uncorrected astigmatism they may both be less than optimal, the dot may look more like a star or figure eight.

Alchase

New to the site!
Reaction score
“EOThec, Aimpoint and Trijicon are expensive for couple of reason, name brand, have proven their self and qualitythat you can depend on.”

The difference these three have over the cheaper options, these have a proven combat record and quality.

Having said that there have been lights out improvements in optics in the last 10 years.

Some of the cheaper options are pretty darn good.
And if you do not need ”milspec”” durability and cost,
There are many decent options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom