Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I saw this question posed on another forum but really didn't care for the responses. I would rather hear from my fellow Okies because your opinions are more regarded than someone I dont' know from "whoknowswhere".

BC

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You just have to weigh the pros and cons of the situation...

Handgun: Smaller. More accurate, precise damage. If you have your CCL you may carry one anyways. May go through walls, damage more property, or miss target altogether in the dark.

Shotgun: Less likely to overpenetrate walls/target. Easier to get a hit in the dark. Reliable. However, bigger, harder to maneuver with.

I go with the shotgun option, because of the pros listed above, but also because of the wide range of rounds available.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shotgun hands down...

More lethal by any measure.

Contrary to popular misconception they can be very accurate, more accurate and easier to manipulate in a stressfull situation than a pistol even.

Length is not a negative point if one adopts the 'bunkering' method of home defense...no need to clear rooms unless you have little ones to fight your way to...and even then practice/tactics can get around the length issue.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We still have little ones at home, and I use the handgun to secure them and get them to our safe room. After that its the shotgun. If no one but me and the wife are here then its shotgun period. Shotgun will always trump the pistol inside the home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom