Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both. We keep a couple of 357 revolvers by the bed loaded with Glasser's, and a 12ga pump with 2x4 duplex loads. Needless to say no kids.

Big-Tex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how many people think the "clack-CLACK" is a useful tool or a possible assault/mental anguish lawsuit? I would rather be condition 1 and never give away my position. If someone breaks into my house, I don't feel that they deserve a warning. All's fair in love and war.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder how many people think the "clack-CLACK" is a useful tool or a possible assault/mental anguish lawsuit? I would rather be condition 1 and never give away my position. If someone breaks into my house, I don't feel that they deserve a warning. All's fair in love and war.

+1
we keep our guns with a round chambered. the element of surprise may help out. but we don't have any kids, so not to worried about an AD

Woodcutter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote shotgun, with a round in the chamber. I would not count on the sound of a slide being racked to affect a dope-head breaking into my house. The only thing you can count on to intimidate any intruder is a nice hole all the way through his chest that is big enough for you to read the clock on the wall through.

However, I agree with the poster that said that a pistol on the hip is better than a shotgun on the other side of the house when an intruder suddenly appears in the hallway blocking your access to said shotgun.

joeman3519

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to vote for pistol but I was very torn. I have a Judge with 000 buck shot next to the bed, I guess that is a hand gun. I also have a shot gun, AR, and my wife's go to gun is a Kahr 9mm. So guess that is one vote for a handgun/shotgun.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I vote shotgun, with a round in the chamber. I would not count on the sound of a slide being racked to affect a dope-head breaking into my house. The only thing you can count on to intimidate any intruder is a nice hole all the way through his chest that is big enough for you to read the clock on the wall through.

I like the way you think.

Latest posts

Top Bottom