Home Defense - Handgun or Shotgun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In your opinion, which is a better home defense gun?

• Handgun

Votes: 77 30.2%
  • Shotgun

Votes: 178 69.8%

• Total voters

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12 gauge #00 buckshot, at 15 feet, a 2.5 inch pattern.

this shell shoots 9 .32 caliber balls.

i think a 3" 12 gauge #00 buckshot shoots 16 balls.

BUT, know and remember the pattern is only 2.5 to 3" at 15. feet, about the max distance you would shoot in the house i think, (distance would obviously vary) so the so called 'scatter gun' just point it in the general direction type of talk can get you hurt. u still need to aim that shotgun.

The FBI, OSBI, pros, experts, etc say shotgun hands down.

personally, i would use the shotgun.

your suppose to get behind cover and let the bad guy come to you, don't do looking for him.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
12 gauge #00 buckshot, at 15 feet, a 2.5 inch pattern.

this shell shoots 9 .32 caliber balls.

i think a 3" 12 gauge #00 buckshot shoots 16 balls.

BUT, know and remember the pattern is only 2.5 to 3" at 15. feet, about the max distance you would shoot in the house i think, (distance would obviously vary) so the so called 'scatter gun' just point it in the general direction type of talk can get you hurt. u still need to aim that shotgun.

The FBI, OSBI, pros, experts, etc say shotgun hands down.

personally, i would use the shotgun.

your suppose to get behind cover and let the bad guy come to you, don't do looking for him.

Can you PLEASE talk to my husband?? LOL

My attitude is that if they come down the hallway to the bedroom I have retreated to (the one with the loaded shotgun and a couple of handguns in it) then I am pretty sure they mean me harm. Hope those slugs don't sting too bad ... :lookaroun (I would use buckshot, but I don't want to hit the dogs.)

Reaction score
I can't get any of my pistols to make the same preparatory noise that the 870 does...pretty distinct as most of us can attest. Usually the sound of that alone is enough to make someone think about making a healthy exit vs. BOOM, repeat, BOOM, repeat..etc.

Silly_Goose

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 12-guage loaded with bird shot for the wife and a pistol for myself. The shotgun is loaded, chambered w/ safety on and resting on 2 u-hooks above the door jamb in the bedroom closet. I went with bird shot over .00 at the suggestion from a Sheriff's deputy that told me that he believes that it had a lesser kick and was just as effective in a CQB situation.

benschne

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
12 Guage 00 Buck

I have tested the sread at ranges up to the maximum distance that an encounter could take place in my home. This gives me more comfort for some reason,

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to keep a shotgun out for HD duties. Then my son was born. My game plan completely changed. I went from staying in the bedroom hiding behind my wife while she worked the shotgun. To throwing my wife out the bedroom door to take the first round while I grab the handgun and run to the nursery.

There is a large metal box located in my son's room. It contains all sorts of fun little, and big, noise making toys. These toys are specifically designed to maintain the safety of those yielding these toys.

priority one is to get to the nursery. If there is someone or something, zombie, in the way there they get a high volume dose of lead to redirect their attention. priority two is securing the room, priority three kill every son of a B that thinks they need in that room. Priority four make a phone call to the calvery and cleanup department. Inform them to bring a body bag or two and a mop.

Peace_Maker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live alone in the middle of the country so it is an AR for me, but I think I may go to a M14. I could care less if my rounds go through walls.

bilboben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the shotgun if I have plenty of warning, but I cannot carry a shotty around the house while doing my chores and one stored by my bed while I am in the living room does me no good when the BG breaks down the front door. so I voted handgun, because it is always with me anyway

Latest posts

Top Bottom