Home Invasion! You Just Heard Your Back Door Being Kicked In...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"I see light" The M18A1 Claymore Mine at the end of the hall is initiated, effectively eliminating any and all soft skin targets within a 60 deg arc at a distance of 50m and a height of 6.5 ft.
"Front Toward Enemy"

I was wondering who else would have a Claymore in the hallway.
My family and friends all know that if you come to my house in the evening, especially after dark, I will answer the door armed.

I learnt this trick from my Dad when I was 18. Dad is now 84 and still answering the door at night with a S&W 357 Magnum in hand. At 67 .. so do I.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...you are in bed sound asleep when you are rudely jerked awake as you hear the sound of splintering wood and glass being broken at the back of your house. For whatever reason, your alarm is going off and your dog isn’t barking...why not? This can’t be a good thing. The hairs on the back of your neck are standing up.

It’s just you and your wife (or significant other) no kids are in this scenario; you look over at her (or him, for some of you) and her eyes are big around as saucers. You reach for your home defense shotgun/rifle.
1. Rifle or shotgun? Pump or Auto? Caliber or Gauge?
2. What do you have it loaded with?
3. What condition is it in?
4. Do you have a BUG? What is it, what’s in it, and it’s condition too please.

It’s now been just a split second since you got jerked awake by the sound of the break-in; now you hear the gritty sound of the back patio door sliding open across the broken glass. What is your immediate next and subsequent actions?

You get to finish this story. Carry this scenario on to the conclusion. Begin with you reaching for your home defense shotgun/ rifle, whichever long gun you choose as your primary home dense weapon. Ready? CRASH!

Grab mossberg 500 with #4 frangible buckshot, and surefire scout (have kids and neighbors), I can not "hunker down" as my kids who sleep upstairs will have heard it and started crying/coming down stairs . My spouce and I (she will have M&P 2.0 5 inch with hydroshock and a TLR-1 HL) will move down hallway to stairs and move up to protect our family. If a face appears in our staircase the wall behind it will need to be replastered and painted. Phone call to 911 will be made as soon as we are by our children's side. As far as condition, my firearms are well loved and lubed.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think of the collateral damages. The mess someone’s got to clean up once the Medical Office crew is done, the Sheetrock, the painting, etc. is nothing to ignore, nosirree, that’s a lot of work. I’m lazy like that.

We actually had a past member on here that specialized in crime scene/suicide cleanup. Haven't seen him on here in awhile, but we met at a gun show once and he told me what he did for a living. He makes knives as a side hobby. Insurance companies usually hired him.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Interesting" that 98% do not mention having and using a light.
That's because a light will give away your tactical defensive position. I have a thermostat in the hallway that provides some pretty good LED light and a motion detector light that will light up anyone approaching the hallway.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn’t Dick Cheney shoot his hunting buddy in the face with birdshot?

Nah, I don’t want some thug dancin’ around my house screaming “My Eyes! My Eyes!”
So it’s #4 buck and above for me. I don’t like dancin’ anyway.
He did, but it was at about 40 yards with an improved cylinder quail choke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom