Homemade waterproofing solution

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnboomer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Midwest City (usually)/Eufaula (when possible)
Materials:
1 quart Mineral Spirits
½ of a 2.8oz tube 100% Clear Silicone Caulking
Container with lid, 2 quart capacity

Tools:
Paint stick or dowel
Paint brush

Instructions:
1. Pour 1 quart of mineral spirits into your container.
2. Add half a tube of 100% clear silicone caulking.
3. Stir the caulking into the mineral spirits to break it up. Then fit the lid on tightly and shake the contents until completely incorporated.*
4. Paint the solution onto your chosen object, covering it completely in the solution.
5. Allow the object to cure for 24 hours before exposing it to water.

For those worried about the fumes - once your object has cured for 24 hours, the fumes will have evaporated and there’ll be no need to worry.
Hint: Be sure to purchase clear silicone. It comes in white and almond as well, but you probably don’t want to change the color of what you’re waterproofing!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's a great idea.

We used to dissolve grease in mineral spirits and put it on machine tools that were going into storage to prevent rust. Went on easy and left little residue.

Never thought RTV would do the same.

Yourshoesareuntied

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I knew a guy that used a garden sprayer diesel and reclaimed motor oil from the past years oils changes. He would spray the lower edge of his picket fence with it, killed the grass and help preserve his fence. I never tried it but have been close a few times.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I knew a guy that used a garden sprayer diesel and reclaimed motor oil from the past years oils changes. He would spray the lower edge of his picket fence with it, killed the grass and help preserve his fence. I never tried it but have been close a few times.
I have done this on the floor of my flat bed trailer, works great.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some reclaimed pine that was from cimmaron pottery off of I40 it was crate wood I got back in 2000 and built a fence from it.
I used a roller to paint it with used transmission fluid.. as a sprayer made the oil float in the air like cooking bacon ..

The ants will not eat on it and the termites that ate the other fence will not touch it.. 15 years now and still looks great.. repaint every 4-5 years with more free used transmission fluid.
Yes free.. Cottmans transmission gave it to me just for the asking .. I had to have my own container and get it out of their big containers.

Father-in-law got some at the same time and did not apply any stuff to it and it lasted 5 years and was all ate up by bugs and splintering apart

Latest posts

Top Bottom