Hornady Crit-Duty 9mm 25rd 135gr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I didn't get as many as I had originally planned, so I don't feel guilty! Now if I could just find Hornady Critical Defense 9mm rounds..

Do you have a preference in the Defense vs Duty flavors? If so, based upon what? ( not trying to derail the thread, so please feel free to PM if you prefer.)

Mr E

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a preference in the Defense vs Duty flavors? If so, based upon what? ( not trying to derail the thread, so please feel free to PM if you prefer.)

I don't mind posting it here, it might help someone else who might not know the difference either! And honestly, I like sharing information I feel is important when it comes to guns/ammo...what little I know. Still learning as a newbie gun owner!

Anyways, this' from Hornady's own site:

"Critical Defense® handgun ammunition was developed to provide the best performance for DEFENSIVE or PERSONAL PROTECTION SITUATIONS and is the ultimate choice for any short barreled, concealed carry style firearm.

The FTX® bullets loaded in all Critical Defense® handgun ammunition are designed to expand and provide the terminal performance needed for close encounters often associated with personal protection situations. Given that, Critical Defense® is NOT intended for use in extreme (law enforcement) situations that require superior barrier performance.*

The FTX® bullet will expand reliably and will not clog like standard hollow point bullets when fired through heavy clothing.* Additionally, Critical Defense® ammunition IS optimized for short barreled, concealed carry style handguns and will not deliver excessive recoil and associated muzzle flip."

vs

"Critical DUTY® handgun ammunition is built to meet the needs and requirements of LAW ENFORCEMENT and TACTICAL PROFESSIONALS, as well as those law abiding citizens who prefer a full-size handgun for their personal protection and demand superior barrier penetration and subsequent terminal performance.

The FlexLock® bullets loaded in all Critical DUTY® offerings are rugged, heavy jacketed bullets that deliver virtually "barrier blind" performance (i.e. total penetration, weight retention and expansion are practically the same) when shot through common urban barriers* (bare gelatin, auto glass, sheet metal, plywood, drywall, heavy clothing*).

In addition, Critical DUTY® loads are "full power loads" designed to function full-size handgun slides. Although designed to work flawlessly in ALL handguns, these loads are NOT optimized for short barreled, concealed carry style handguns; they will deliver standard recoil during firing."

TLDR: I would want Critical Defense rounds for my EDC... You know, if I carried. ;-)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom