Horse to water...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even cheaper than the Mora is the Wahoo from budk I have had both and for as little as 2$ the Wahoo is retardedly sharp and durable like the Mora kniv

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into picking one up. It won't replace the Mora in my big kit, but it'll find a place in my smaller kit, for sure.

I've struggled with what to put in a go bag for myself and this was good with the visual references. Gonna have to go through mine this weekend. Right now its mostly junk.

Shelter>Water>Food. Those are your essentials. Anything else is "nice to have".

I consider fire to be part of "shelter". Have at least 2 ways to start a fire, more if you can. Tarp or tent, sleeping bag or wool blanket, cordage for hanging/securing your tarp or tent (paracord will do, very strong, very compact and lightweight, gobs of uses) and you've rounded out your shelter.

A way to carry water (canteen, flask, nalgene bottle, stainless steel water bottle) and purify it (Aqua Pura tablets, Sawyer or Katadyn filter, steel pot/bottle to boil it in) or even a few bottles or pouches of water and you're set there.

You can actually skip food in a 72 hour kit if you really want to. You can survive without food for up to 3 weeks. If you just don't want to, or you think your get home/bug out bag needs to last you longer than that, then you have to figure on how much space you have, shelf life of what you put in, and the fact that the shelf life on that stuff is going to tank if you leave it sitting in your car all day regardless of the weather. MREs only have a shelf life of about a month in temperatures above 120 degrees. Your car will exceed that in less than an hour during the summer. Freeze dried foods might fare a little better at those temperatures, but they're still going to lose a lot of shelf life at high temperatures.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something I added to mine is a small water filtration set (about $25) that way I don't have to carry enough water for 3 days/or can replenish if needed. Also consider that you are basically going to be exercising all day long that means sweating all day long, if your normal is 48 oz of fluids a day you will probably need to triple (about 1 gal) that per day at minimum on some of these lovely Oklahoma summer days to stay hydrated. That being said if it is going to take 3 days (15-20 miles per day is how I figure it) I don't really want to have to carry 3 gallon of water that whole time, because of space and weight.

Another thing I have in mine is a old chainsaw blade that has be cut and then cloth loops added on the ends. This allows for cutting of firewood if needed or clearing brush, its pretty slow going but lightweight. The time I got my truck stuck and needed branches to put under the tires it was a major help.

Assuming you normally have a CCW with you, what about a couple extra rounds of ammo? Allows for possible hunting and or reloading if required for self defense.

This is the flashlight I use all the time: cheap, durable, and runs a long time on one double A. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1Z4W4Z9K98A6K&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

I prefer some type of waterproof sheet/tarp in case you end up needing to sleep while its raining or when the ground is wet.

Another personal item I carry is socks, makes walking so much easier if your feet are wet, when you get dry socks. If you start wearing a blister you can wear 2 pair of socks and that will keep the blister from getting any worse most of the time. I also do it when I know my feet are going to be wet for long periods of time and walking is required. The socks rub together instead of your feet rubbing.

Sunscreen + bug spray : I am pretty sure most of us are not used to being outside all day in the sun, and if your like me you burn to a crisp when you are.

Printed maps from google earth will show alternate routs and water sources, basically doesn't take up any room, lightweight and can be used to start a fire in a pinch.

Gatorade type drinks don't freeze in the winter so you don't have to worry about thawing them when in cold climate.

One of those ceramic knife sharpeners would also be nice to have since your knife will be very heavily used for almost every task, lightweight, and require ALMOST no brains to use.

Those cloth bags that grocery stores want you to buy and reuse all the time also come in handy if you happen to overflow your bag when you are ready to leave your car. Most have handles large enough that they can be slung over a shoulder if needed. Probably not something I would keep in my bag, but having one in the vehicle might come in handy.

Just remember whoever quoted "ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain" knew from experience.

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Assuming you normally have a CCW with you, what about a couple extra rounds of ammo? Allows for possible hunting and or reloading if required for self defense.

I can't speak for the others here, but I don't actually have an Oklahoma Pistol license, so carrying a firearm would be a no-no for me. I've never actually felt the need to carry a gun daily. Not that I wouldn't if we had Constitutional carry, but mostly I just can't be stuffed to do the paperwork. I need to bone up on the legalities of keeping a weapon in the vehicle (loaded or unloaded but with ammunition available) so I can at least have something to grab if I'm more worried about my safety than obeying the law.

This is the flashlight I use all the time: cheap, durable, and runs a long time on one double A. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...1Z4W4Z9K98A6K&psc=1&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

I carry a Fenix PD30[url] on my hip every day, right next to a [url=http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Multi-Plier-600-Pro-Scout-with-tool-kit-07564.htm]Gerber Multi-tool (mine doesn't have the tool kit). I also carry a CRKT Ignitor in my pocket every day. It replaced the unassisted CRKT M16-01KZ Spear Point that I carried for a while to replace my Gerber AR 3.00. I actually had 2 of the Gerbers that I bought at the same time for less than $30 each. I bent the pocket clip on one so bad that it wouldn't bend back and I was worried the knife would fall out of my pocket. The other, I used and abused so much that I have nicks and dings in the edge that I just can't quite get to clean up well enough to sharpen the knife properly anymore. I prefer the full fine edge of the CRKTs over the half serrated edge that the Gerbers had for most things anyway. I hated the flipper and the "safety" system on the CRKT M16, but I got used to it. My dad got me the Ignitor as a birthday gift, and it's a much better knife than the M16.

somarsmi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom