How do I take better gun pics?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I am not a photography junkie, but I would like to be able to do it better. The camera I have is a Nikon Coolpix L110. Not sure if that is even worth trying to learn with or not, I thought it was nice when i bought it, but I don't know anything about cameras.

Here's a pic I took recently, I messed with the lights in the room some, put a sock over the flash and still it didn't turn out "great". Too much light on the back, and the front is a bit blurred. (this isn't original size obviously)

Any tips on what I can do better, or if I am wasting my time with inferior equipment appreciated. And I know it's "inferior" just don't know how inferior it is lol.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Really, you need a camera with a hot shoe on the top. typically a DSLR it what I'm talking about.

Using an external flash bouncing light off the ceiling, will get quite dramatic results, as will decreasing the focal length. Things you normally can't do with a point and shoot.

These photos was taken on a bed with normal ambient light, zoomed in and using an external flash bouncing off the ceiling. All other settings on the camera were set to "auto"

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

EDIT: While I was composinig this, several other people answered. so, take it or leave it. I am still happy with my results.

Background can make a big difference too. I photgraphed my mosin using the contrast of a wood pile. beautiful stock against aged firewood makes for a dramatic photo.

[Broken External Image]

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Some point and shoots offer more "manual" control than others. I don't know about yours. Basically, the replies so far hit it. Lighting is the most critical component to good pictures. Using a built in flash is mostly useless for quality pictures. As far as off camera lighting, if you don't have a hot shoe, you can use many different kinds of household lighting, but remember that direct lighting is the worst. The more diffused you can get it the better. Bounce it off a ceiling or through a diffuser panel (typically a thin white or light colored (grays or silvers) cloth) is better. The problem with harsh direct light is you end up with pronounced shadows on any texture on the picture subject or behind it.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Dustin, I know what you mean about outside lighting, I took this pic on a day just like you described.

Tried to do it again, but the sun came out

My camera does have a lot of adjustable settings, and isn't a cheapo point and shoot, but isn't an SLR either.

Thanks for the Calguns link, that gives me a lot to work with.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A point and shoot that will keep you from having to delve into the complexity that is SLR that I like is the Canon Powershot SX110 IS. It's the one I have and while I haven't played with an exhaustive list of point and shoots I do feel like mine takes decent pics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom