How do you carry your NFA stamps? PDF legal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I looked around online and found various reports of requirements. Some say it is required to have it on the gun at all times. Others say its not and you do not have to produce the stamp on spot, just have the ability to produce the documents in a timely fashion. I'm curious if a PDF copy on an electronic device would be acceptable.

Currently I keep the original stamps in the safe. I have made a copy and keep that in my range bag. I also saved a PDF version on my secure cloud, just in case.

Could I just keep the digital copy on my phone and not carry a paper copy and be in compliance? Only reason is to reduce clutter in range bag and increase personal identification security.

POKE1911

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
upload_2017-6-23_11-21-1.png

I found this on the ATF website but I am not sure if a scanned PDF would constitute as a photocopy? In Oklahoma it is acceptable for car insurance. :)

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked around online and found various reports of requirements. Some say it is required to have it on the gun at all times. Others say its not and you do not have to produce the stamp on spot, just have the ability to produce the documents in a timely fashion. I'm curious if a PDF copy on an electronic device would be acceptable.

Currently I keep the original stamps in the safe. I have made a copy and keep that in my range bag. I also saved a PDF version on my secure cloud, just in case.

Could I just keep the digital copy on my phone and not carry a paper copy and be in compliance? Only reason is to reduce clutter in range bag and increase personal identification security.

I used to carry a copy in my bag but stopped doing so many years ago. I do have scans in the cloud I can produce if needed.

I've owned NFA items since 1995. I've used them at public and private ranges, and in many training classes and have not been asked to prove registration.

Carrying them is a ATF "suggestion", not a "requirement"! Presenting a PDF copy on a smartphone should satisfy a ATF enforcement officer. Regardless, he should be able to call and confirm the item is in the registry in your name.

DT Jeff

Marksman
Reaction score
Like you I keep all originals in the safe.
I put reduced size copies along w/ a reduced size copy of my trust in a plastic bag in each case (Suppressor or SBR) so that it's always with the item.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I scan all of my forms.
All the originals are stored in a safety deposit box

I will print up the double sided copies and laminate at least one copy.
I have a file of them that stays in the gun safe at all times.

The items that I use the most have extra copies made so I can just grab those copies when I head out.
If I'm taking something "esoteric" with me, I just grab my book and go.

I've been asked to show the papers several times.

Was shooting with several friends on a friends property and a Deputy showed up. Don't know if he would have asked for the papers, but I showed them preemptively.

I never have understood the mentality of "I'm only going to show them to an ATF agent" and decide to butt heads with other law enforcement agents. While it might not be required to show the papers to a LEO, I'm not going to hesitate.

Dave

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to carry a copy in my bag but stopped doing so many years ago. I do have scans in the cloud I can produce if needed.

I've owned NFA items since 1995. I've used them at public and private ranges, and in many training classes and have not been asked to prove registration.

Carrying them is a ATF "suggestion", not a "requirement"! Presenting a PDF copy on a smartphone should satisfy a ATF enforcement officer. Regardless, he should be able to call and confirm the item is in the registry in your name.
Actually, the NFRTR is so notoriously flawed that even agents and compliance inspectors know it's unreliable to confirm legality of your registered item. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom