How do you get a permit for a gun range?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So you actually built a range. Where is it located. I would like to see it. I want to set up a shooting club with a private range for the club members. Is your range incorporated as a business?
I didn't build it, the Ponca City rifle and Pistol club built the range with contractors after being ran off from our location at Lake Ponca for 45 years by encroaching developments in 2008.
Right now we are West of Ponca City, East of Tonkawa. We are a 501c4 business. I'd be more than happy to show it if your in the area.
You can see pics of the range on our website.
http://poncarpc.org/RPC-photos-2.html

Berm heights, and design were modeled after NRA specifications available online. If the berm height called out for 20', we built it at 25' to allow for settling, and they did settle.

gunmommaok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am certain I am in OKC limits because I built my house on part of the property. The permitting process plus their inspections will never be forgotten. Interested in why you said that it would be an indoor range if in city limits. I live on 15 acres surrounded by 100's of acres of raw land. Thanks for the insights.
If you live inside city limits and you are NOT going to do it as a business then you would fall under discharging a firearm. Most cities don't allow you to discharge a firearm. Enid where we live doesn't allow to discharge any projectile including arrows. If you are doing it as a business you would need to get all the permits to do it as a business from the city and state. You may be surrounded by acreage by eventually people will probably move in. So the big question is are you doing it as a business or personal?

PaulP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you live inside city limits and you are NOT going to do it as a business then you would fall under discharging a firearm. Most cities don't allow you to discharge a firearm. Enid where we live doesn't allow to discharge any projectile including arrows. If you are doing it as a business you would need to get all the permits to do it as a business from the city and state. You may be surrounded by acreage by eventually people will probably move in. So the big question is are you doing it as a business or personal?

I have talked to just about anyone in the city that will answer the phone and none of them know anything about a permit for OKC. I haven't found anyone at any state agency that can help either.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you trying to open a commercial firing range, or a private range for your own use? (sorry if I missed it, but I don't see above where you ever said)

If it's private, I dunno... it might be possible but I suspect the red tape will make it not worth the effort.

If it's commercial, you might see if the NRA, Gun Owners of America, Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association, etc. has someone that can help you get started? I'm thinking the quickest and safest route though would be talk to an attorney.

PaulP

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you trying to open a commercial firing range, or a private range for your own use? (sorry if I missed it, but I don't see above where you ever said)

If it's private, I dunno... it might be possible but I suspect the red tape will make it not worth the effort.

If it's commercial, you might see if the NRA, Gun Owners of America, Oklahoma 2nd Amendment Association, etc. has someone that can help you get started? I'm thinking the quickest and safest route though would be talk to an attorney.

I am wanting a private club range.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were here, I would contact my city councilman, or the city manager or mayors office. I don't know how OKC is organized, and you've said you called almost everyone. SOMEONE has to know what you need. I still think the NRA might be able to at least point you in a direction.

Is there another club in town that could tell you what they had to do?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have talked to just about anyone in the city that will answer the phone and none of them know anything about a permit for OKC. I haven't found anyone at any state agency that can help either.

Have you tried the City Attorney? That is the person that would try to shut it down if it were illegal.

Latest posts

Top Bottom