How far have you gone to hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now it's dillers and skunks on my property. When I lived in San Diego use to drive up to Bishop several times a year for pheasant and dove hunts. About 350 miles if I remember right.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I drove about 90 miles over to Pawnee a couple times in 2019 to strike out. Took my son about 7 miles from here to bag his first deer.

That's about the extent of my experience. <sigh>

<edit> Oh, I went dove hunting a couple times once outside of Pawhuska, once around Lindsay... God, that's gotta be 20 years ago. Dang.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hunted elk in Oregon, elk and birds in Idaho and deer in Pennsylvania would be the most distant places for me.

It will probably remain that way as I am getting to where I just like to go closer to home and go more often these days.
The elk/mule deer hunt my friend was trying to get me to go on was on the Oregon side of the border right across from Idaho. The outfitter sent us some pictures of really nice bucks and bulls from that area. I’ll probably regret not taking the opportunity to go.:blush:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the ranch but it was east of Edmond on Post Road. The fellow had a nice wooded fenced in ranch where he conducted controlled hunts for deer. He had a magnificent log home. Since my mobility isn't what it used to be I always thought if I ever wanted to get a deer I would call him.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The elk/mule deer hunt my friend was trying to get me to go on was on the Oregon side of the border right across from Idaho. The outfitter sent us some pictures of really nice bucks and bulls from that area. I’ll probably regret not taking the opportunity to go.:blush:

Yes you should have went. But I would have said that to any hunt.

The Blue Mountains in Eastern Oregon have some sure enough KIng Kong silver tips. The areas immediately adjacent to Idaho have some sure enough wall hangers too. i hunted the Blue Mountains Range which are smaller by Western standards and a place called the Mormon Basin in ID, It is I high flat topped plateau that you can actually look DOWN and see the tops of the Blue Mountains over in Oregon.

If you need convinced and like to travel go to the bar in Ukiah OR which is kind of central to both areas. It looks like a big red barn. Surrounding the walls 360 degrees are huge mounted bulls killed over the decades there, some go back to the 20s. It is a sight for a hunter to behold.

Also, The John Day River of No Return area on the other side of Idaho is perhaps one of the most beautiful areas you could ever see.

Anywhere heading north or NE of Riggins/MaCall ID in the Bitteroot and Sawtooth ranges is simply breathtaking but that whole part of the state has one main road and sometimes gets closed in winter due to heavy snowfall.

If you ever get that chance again. TAKE IT.

Last edited:

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can't remember the name of the ranch but it was east of Edmond on Post Road. The fellow had a nice wooded fenced in ranch where he conducted controlled hunts for deer. He had a magnificent log home. Since my mobility isn't what it used to be I always thought if I ever wanted to get a deer I would call him.
If you just want a deer, I can help you out with some advanced notice. I haven’t shot a doe in a few years, because I don’t need the meat. I have no problem shooting one if I have somewhere to go with it.:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom