How fast are you with a rifle?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those without a shooting timeer, can you start with riflebutt on your hip, safety engaged, finger outside of the trigger guard toss up a couple of soda cans and hit both in midair? It's not that tough, if you practice a bit with airsoft. The visible in flight pellets quickly show you what you're doing wrong. The hits occur at 2 yds or less of distance, typically, but getting hits on 2" wide targets at 2 yds is the same as hitting torsos at 10m, and plenty of gunfight action occurs at shorter ranges. A lot of it is 5 yds and less and often, the target is just a head, bobbing around cover. The Feds found out, in Miami, how hard it is to hit such a mark at just 10 ft, back in 1986. They missed Platt over 40x at less than 5 yds, and got half a dozen poor hits, while he had just one arm and they outnumbered him by 8 to 1!.

if you do have a timer, try this.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on shooting my 45 better and here you are jamming up my system and making me feel worse.

Thanks for sharing. Shooters like this show what can be done, and yes they are professionals, but IF we tried hard enough, we should get good enough to nip at their heals. Thanks for sharing.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that's right. If you train properly, you can get within 10%. So why can't you get a trigger job for your AR? pay for it by dumping your "combat shotgun". Since the shotgun is so inferior anyway, it's no loss. There's a .22lr conversion unit that lets you practice for 10% of the cost of 12 ga slugs or buckshot, and you can get an effective sound suppressor for the AR, but not for the 12 ga. Furthermore, the AR can be used with just one hand, pretty danged effectivle, the 12 ga cannot. The shorty AR can be concealed (taken down) rather easily. There's a folding stock that lets it conceal under your arm, on a sling, under your coat. If you "chop" a 12 ga that short, it it pretty useless beyond 20 ft. :-) Fire a 12ga in a room at night, without ear protection and the flash and blast will nearly make you drop the gun. Yes, there's a clunk that claims to suppress a 12 ga. It costs $2000 and makes it sound like an unsuppressed .45. :-) big whoop. A decent suppressor makes the shorty AR sound like a normal .22lr rifle. With subsonic 22's, holding the bolt shut with your thumb, the 223 "can" makes the .22 sound like a BB gun. The suppressed rifle is vastly superior to the shotgun, both for foraging and fighting

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom