How is your battle belt set up and why?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a battle belt for training at USSA. I'm looking for input on how to set it up. I got an HSGI sure grip belt and some taco mag pouches. Wondering what else I should get. I will be feeding a rifle and a pistol. Where do I put everything and why?

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Battle belt / war belt is the 'new' duty belt……..things need to be easily accessible (speed) and habitual (repetition). That being said, good belt choice, add a Jones cobra buckle or OSOE cobra.

With the 2 main components out of the way: adding single mag pouches; dump pouch; flashlight pouch/kydex; G Code setup for handgun or Blackhawk Strike setup; knife or ASP; etc

Rifle and Handgun:

RH or LH? If RH - start on the left side (ref. to wearing the belt = left vs right 'half') with singe handgun mag pouches then Rifle pouches of Kydex or Esstac Shortys; dump pouch; flashlight / ASP / etc…. then the holster on the R hip naturally. not much would go in front of holster IMO…..unless inverted item… ALSO, you may be able to fit a mag holster in the molle horizontal on beginning of the right side (or fabricate) as well, just something to ponder as thats another area for an easy handgun mag change/reload and one IF in the Hor. will be out of the way of the gun…….fabrication would be norm for that.

You will be the only one who can determine if you can put things in front or between the holster and/or the mag pouches. The items where repetition and 'speed' meet life, and that is where training and shoot house type work will expose what can and can't be.

Kydex or Shorty type mag pouches - especially rifle mags you need to be able to get a clean and full grasp of the mag for positive control and speed, unless you have kung fu skills that can trap the top 1/4 of a full rifle mag with your finger tips and seat it properly each time every time.

the belt is for keeping you in the game with minimal down time and with the minimal/essential tools needed (outside the dump pouch). For that same reason single mag pouches should be the norm, too many companies leave such a small gap that it takes more time and effort/mental capacity to properly select and secure a single mag……….thus defeating the purpose and any advantage. Trial and error.

powdernlead

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A plate carrier will come later. Right now, I'm working on a belt. I may not get a plate carrier. I haven't decided yet. Thanks for all your input. Keep it coming. I can use all the help I can get.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can tell you what works for me for training group classes at USSA. For handgun classes, I run my daily carry gear. I keep spare mags in my pocket and add them to my mag pouch after reloads. All draws are done from concealment. I keep aid gear in my range bag.
For rifle classes, I do the exactly the same as above except I add a rifle mag pouch behind my pistol mag pouch.
I have a HSGI belt setup I've used a couple of times. It's heavy and hot. When I bend over to pick up mags it rides up. It's hard to get holster placement to mimic my daily carry. However, it looks cool and makes me feel like Batman and Tim "The Toolman" Taylor all rolled into one. Next time I'm in the attic, I'll get it down and take some pictures.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clearly you are wearing the HSGI the wrong way, The shoulder harness mounts (4) are to be on the bottom, you use baseball type stirrups to keep the belt from riding up when u bend over, kinda like garters for women's.

u may also want to rethink how u are bending over, although by riding up it could be a plumbers crack aid.

(lol)

Last edited:

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I can tell you what works for me for training group classes at USSA. For handgun classes, I run my daily carry gear. I keep spare mags in my pocket and add them to my mag pouch after reloads. All draws are done from concealment. I keep aid gear in my range bag.
For rifle classes, I do the exactly the same as above except I add a rifle mag pouch behind my pistol mag pouch.

Why would you go through all the time and money to train at USSA if all youre going to do is wear your daily carry stuff? Heck, you can wear that any day; train like youre walkin thru Ramadi; I always say.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you go through all the time and money to train at USSA if all youre going to do is wear your daily carry stuff? Heck, you can wear that any day; train like youre walkin thru Ramadi; I always say.

forgive them father for they know not what they do.........................

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First thing is to ignore the haters. one can be a proud tactical timmy without becoming a mall ninja.

Second thing is decide what you are trying to accomplish and equip accordingly. In other words, the mission drives the gear.

Third is to train in it, do pt in it, and do both in the suckiest conditions you can find, and make adjustments as needed. Here is where I recommend the Pawnee run n gun, btw.

When it is appropriate for me to use a war belt, which is a major component of your first line gear, I have it equipped with the gear I consider the minimum needed.

This includes a retention holster for your pistol; mine is a Safariland 6378 at 3 o'clock on a DFA with the leg strap mod here:http://www.itstactical.com/gear/secure-your-safariland-6004-for-mid-ride/
I have a TQ and TQ holder just in front of the holster at 2 o'clock.
At 10 to 11 o'clock i have two Eagle pistol mags with flaps.
At 8 o'clock I have a pretty standard IFAK.
Behind the pistol at about 5 o'clock I have a TT small multipurpose pouch which holds a few spare parts, saline and contacts, multi tool, and some lube.

Sometimes I will add a rifle taco, but the above stays on it, at a minimum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom