How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootsbaker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
2 days in 07 because of the ice storm. My house was total electric, I did have a 'gas log' fireplace and we quickly discovered that they do not put out any heat. it was below 40* inside my house! we also had very high ceilings basically we ripped out the gas logs and put in wood huddled around the fireplace, charged the portable dvd player on the car battery and had that and some other board games etc for entertainment. We cooked our food on the grill and did a lot of blankets and cuddling with each other and the dog! LOL

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I lived in rural northeast Kansas for a while and we where out of power in 07/08 for 33 days it was a huge icestorm with 22" of snow afterward itcame in a few days before Christmas and was a real b[#<h. But after a while we adapted with the help of several generators. Water for livestock Was the biggest problem no ponds where we had cattle all depended on wells and that presented some challenges it was a cold bastard and when the power went out the heaters quit working and the wells froze. It taught me a lot about self reliance the town was out for three days and it took lots longer to get all power back on some neighbors were out longer than where. In Oklahoma two days after the Christmas eve blizzard but the tornados in the piedmont /Cashion area three years ago had us out for three days. I grew up in Arkansas and was used to ice storms or tornados knocking power out for a few days I learned to keep a generator and some oil lamps as well as a kerosene heater around with a camp stove and some easy to prepare food. And in the spring summer I learned to find your nearest source of dry ice for your deep freezer. But the biggest thing I learned in ne Kansas was that when transmission lines go down and are crushed like beer cans it's going to be awhile so get used to living "off the grid" and you can get real comfortable but damn the excitement when the power does finally come back on.

thegomezclan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't been without power for more then a few hours but I've been without water for a week when my well house froze. We had a little water stored, had to drain the waterheater for flushing toilets.

richard597

Marksman
Reaction score
We bought a house in SW Oklahoma a couple of years ago, before we retired. Our daughter was living in it during the big ice storm and was without power for about a week. Guess I really should think about a generator now that my wife and I are living here.

Foggy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
'07 Ice Storm had us without electricity for 22 days. 1st Christmas in our newly built home. Then the bill was higher than the month before! Thanks Verdigris Valley!

1989outlaw

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We went 9 days a few years back. Spent plenty on gas , once the station got a generator and could sell it . Our electric bill was extra high even though we didnt have power all those days. Funny how that works .

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
7 days during the ice storm (1 year before the one in Tulsa) out in the country and total electric. Generator with small box heaters, single lamp and lots of blankets. Closed off most of the house and kept a few rooms warm with the fireplace for heating and cooking. Made a good Emergency Checklist adding many things I want to think of to be ready for next time like keeping the mower gas cans full during the winter, and taking a warm shower before the WH cools down, melting buckets of ice with the generator exhaust to flush the toilet. (water plant was down also), keeping the chain saw handy for a trip to fill up the gas cans so you can get down the back roads, for next time. etc. Not fun, but manageable.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
7 days during the ice storm (1 year before the one in Tulsa) out in the country and total electric. Generator with small box heaters, single lamp and lots of blankets. Closed off most of the house and kept a few rooms warm with the fireplace for heating and cooking. Made a good Emergency Checklist adding many things I want to think of to be ready for next time like keeping the mower gas cans full during the winter, and taking a warm shower before the WH cools down, melting buckets of ice with the generator exhaust to flush the toilet. (water plant was down also), keeping the chain saw handy for a trip to fill up the gas cans so you can get down the back roads, for next time. etc. Not fun, but manageable.

Mind sharing the checklist, or is this the whole list?

Latest posts

Top Bottom