How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
around 9 days two seperate times. Thankfully I didnt have anything food wise in the fridge. In the 07 ice storm i was without power for maybe 6 hours. And my electric bill was way high. Thanks city of claremore, not.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 07' ice storm I lost power for 2-3 minutes a couple of times, my dsl went down for maybe 10 minutes, but my COX CABLE was off for over a week!

I was on Trigen / Veolia power at the time. They don't mess around and will work 24/7 until your power is restored. Best power company in OK by a long shot.

RatTerrier

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ice storm '07. No power, on my side of the street. I had a gas stove top and a good sub zero sleeping bag lantern and a couple of LED tent lights and a crappy fireplace. Burned a 1/2 a rick of wood them 4 days puttin most the heat up n out the chinmey. Now I have a wood stove so I'll stay warm and I'll still be able to eat fairly good. Takin a hot shower n then stepping out into a COLD bathroom REALLY sucks tho! lol

Rabbitcreekok

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had no power for nine days the last ice storm here in McAlester. I live in the country and there is no gas near my house, so my house is total electric with a heap pump. I would like a propane powered generator large enough to run my heat pump and freezer and refrigerators. Light is not a problem, but heat is since pipes will freeze in the walls. Water is not a problem. I have a pond where I can get flush water and I have plenty of drinking water on hand.

willystruck

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
6 days, 07 ice storm. Had a small propane wall heater and cook stove. Lived across the street from a boat ramp. Carrying 5 gal buckets of water up the hill on the ice wasn't fun but I at least could flush. Still drove back and forth to work daily, 45 miles each way.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4.5 days a couple of years back during the last bad ice storm. We had the generator hooked up and had to feed it about every 12 hours.....WELL WORTH THE PRICE! We keep about 20 gallons of fuel stored up for it at all times (we rotate it) and about 15-20 gallons of kerosene for the two emergency heaters.( In case something happens to the natural gas furnace)

We have natural gas heat so when the power fails we can have just about everything in the house running on the generator except for the electric stove...we just have to plan some useages to not be at the same time as other high draw stuff. We'll replace the stove with a gas version SOON.

Power failures are no biggie with us. If it happens in the summer, i have two window a/c units that will cool a large portion of my house and will also run on the genset.

TEST YOUR GENERATORS OFTEN!!!!! You DO NOT want it to refuse to start when you need it most!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom