How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle78

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
8 days from ice storm. house has propane, was nice and toasty. Put all of the frozen food outside to stay frozen.
Got water from spring, located in the town park. Heated up water for baths on stove.
Lived pretty good:thumbup3:

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 07, I think our neighborhood was one of the last neighborhoods helped in Edmond. We were down almost a week and a half. We stayed in the house the whole time and after a week of that, it was depressing to see virtually every other neighborhood with lights shining after dark. We slept in the living room in front of our fireplace at night. To flush potties, I would go outside to the pool, break a hole in the ice, fill a bucket with water and dump it in the bowl.

Sweet memories. (But, we're better prepared now.)

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been on East Central at 3 different house my entire life, and I've never been without power for more than 2-3 hours or so. Even in the '07 ice storm, which had most of my family and friends in the dark for periods of 7 days to well over 2 weeks. I worked with a guy in '07 that lived in Cherokee county and he was out for 30 something days. I've just had weird luck I guess.

I often sit at home during an ice storm with the wood stove going and oil lamps out hoping for my power to go out. I couldn't care less if it goes out in the winter, but a summer storm killing the a/c would be a bummer. I like it cold when I sleep.

We're on East Central, too, but we're out in the country and kind of hard to find. When we first moved out here, we were without power for 2 weeks once after a spring storm because East Central couldn't find us.

In the '07 ice storm, we were without power for a week. A friend of mine who lives in West Tulsa was without for 2 weeks from the same storm.

We've been without power for 2-3 days a few times, too.

The wood stove is a great thing in the winter. During the summer, some way to move the air is a must, and without electricity, it just isn't happening. I recently got a battery powered fan that runs on 2 D-cell batteries. It's not much, but I can put it really close. It will run for 3 or 4 nights on high before the batteries have had it.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Recently(within last 10 years) 6 hours but back in the late 60's 5 days but was using co-op's power then not OG&E like now. Dont mind loosing power so much in the winter as i am during the summer, its easier to keep warm than it is to keep cool, and besides i usually get called out to work when the power is out.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 07, I think our neighborhood was one of the last neighborhoods helped in Edmond. We were down almost a week and a half. We stayed in the house the whole time and after a week of that, it was depressing to see virtually every other neighborhood with lights shining after dark. We slept in the living room in front of our fireplace at night. To flush potties, I would go outside to the pool, break a hole in the ice, fill a bucket with water and dump it in the bowl.

Sweet memories. (But, we're better prepared now.)
Are you on well water? City water towers here are high enough to have gravity feed across all of town. Toilets still flushed, water still flowed, and gas water heater still had hot water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom