How long have you been without power in Oklahoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last night for 5hrs.
water towers only work when water co's electric pumps keep towers filled.
without they aint good past 3 days.
coworkers family out for 3 weeks in 07' VVEC, he backfed through shop.
we have showers at work, and i own several 55 gal cola syrup barrels.
So he was good.
elance
prepping is a state of mind i call everyday living.
stay safe

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
11 days was longest. I had a little generator back then. I would run it then watch TV and computer. Ran a cord across the street to my neighbor. He gassed it up as well so we kept it running about 16 hours a day. I have more than one method of heating my home.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We were out 13 days in 2007, ran on a generator the entire time, powered the heat, refrigerator, some lights, and cable modem and small electronics when internet was available again.

Was an eye opener, every day was planned around getting gas for the generator, and feeding it.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
5 days in the last big ice storm. Luckily, water and gas stayed on. We have a gas fireplace, a gas cooktop that can light with a match and probably most important, a gas water heater with an old fashioned pilot light. I could cook food, keep the house warm enough, and wash dishes/shower.

Granted, I was showering in pretty much dark, but...

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
5 days in the last big ice storm. Luckily, water and gas stayed on. We have a gas fireplace, a gas cooktop that can light with a match and probably most important, a gas water heater with an old fashioned pilot light. I could cook food, keep the house warm enough, and wash dishes/shower.

Granted, I was showering in pretty much dark, but...

A few options to give you a little light in the bathroom so you can at least kind of see to shower:

1) Oil lamps. Cheap to feed, give off a soft light, flame mostly enclosed, but they can smoke up the globe which can diminish the light, and they do pose a bit of a fire hazard.

2) Candles. Cheap, give off soft light, but open flame so huge fire hazard.

3) Battery powered lanterns. These can come in various sizes, but a lot of them eat D-cell batteries. I have 2 that run on 8 D-cells, a couple that eat 4, and a couple of really small ones that use AA batteries. Even the small ones put off a decent amount of light, and all of them can get several hours off of a set of batteries. Down side: they require batteries, which can be hard to come by when the power is out because everyone runs out and buys them all up.

4) Mini Maglites. Weird? Not really. The Mini Maglites that run off of 2 AA batteries have what is called "candle mode". Remove the head (the part with the reflector) and set the wide part down on a table, then set the base of the light (the end you open to put in batteries) into the open part of the head. It stands the light up like a candle and lights up a decent amount of the room. You can do this with the LED bulbs or the incandescent bulbs. Down sides: it eats batteries and if you knock it over, it might break the bulb. You can also do this with the larger Maglites, but you have to disassemble the head and pull out the reflector to keep the big lights stable.

5) Pretty much any flashlight if you can keep it pointed up. Similar to the candle mode on Maglites, but without disassembling the flash light. You can do it with Maglites, too. Find a way to keep the light standing up and point it at the ceiling. The lighter color of most ceilings will reflect and diffuse the light around the room. The big challenge is keeping the light upright, so you might have to get creative. Again, down side is you're eating batteries.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Aladdin brand oil lamps do not emit any smoke. They are also a good heat source. My Aladdin lamps put out more heat then my Coleman propane lanterns and aren't noisy. Also cheaper to operate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom