How much Ammo before you die?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically go thru, at minimum, 250 pistol rounds in a range day, maybe 100 rifle. So a 1000 round stash per caliber is at most 4 trips to the range with my pistol, not including a self defense stash.

So while I don't discount your opinion, I don't agree that 1000 rounds is sufficient. I do agree that I'm not able to go to the range and enjoy my hobby for fear that the ammo I deplete can't be replaced at a reasonable cost.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once again, my 2 cents.

There is a significant difference between "premium" ammo (aka self defense or Home-Land defense ammo) and plinking/blasting ammo.

Most of what I look for and pick up is blasting ammo.

I have a small stock of premium ammo for each caliber, but not huge amounts.

Dave

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bunch! I am going to request my tombstone be made of copper plated lead. My casket will be brass. If your budget is too tight for a little shooting every now and then, see about working two hours over time a week for your ammo budget. I put in over 700 hours overtime last year. Good grief, I am not HOARDING ammo, I just don't have as much time to shoot as I used too.

Darva

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How is that anybodys fault? The recreational user should have been prepared. It's your own fault if you are too lazy or unwilling to have an ammo storage for recreational and emergency use.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why? Practice, practice, practice. I go the the range every week or two, and easily shoot a few hundred rounds in various calibers every time I go, so keeping 1000 rounds of any single caliber I shoot - more when I have multiple weapons chambered for the same ammunition or one that I'm just particularly enjoying shooting at the time - doesn't feel excessive to me. No Zombies or end of the world scenarios, I just like to shoot enough and often enough to get (and stay) familiar and comfortable with my tools.

WessonOil

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hoarded enough milsurp ammo years ago and handload enough to provide for myself and others if the "SHTF," as well as shooting it recreationally.

At this point, it's a good idea that people have enough ammo and magazines and firearms in case the SHTF.

Recreational shooting may have to take a backseat to American citizens arming themselves right now, for those of us who had a scenario such as this envisioned, and weren't ever happy with a box off .22 long rifle and 50 rounds of pistol ammo.

I get "irritated" by people who are suddenly realizing that they need to prepare themselves to defend the Second Amendment these last several weeks.

Would have really sucked if a national catastrophe had occured, and we didn't have two or three months to prepare ourselves as we do now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom