How much is enough?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok another noob question. I have finally gotten through enough books, videos, etc., to start actually charging rounds. I set up a Lee Powder Measure, calibrated and zeroed my Frankford digital scale, and am currently weighing charges. I’m loading 45 acp, with 5.7 grains of Titegroup. Scale compared to measure shows dead on, BUT... it just doesn’t look like enough powder! So my question is, in the picture is the charge. Does it look at least close to the amount, or am I doing something wrong? Missing a step with the scale, or powder measure?
Everything in me, says that from what I’ve read and seen, this the right charge, but being a beginner, it just looks like a very tiny amount to shove a bullet out at 900 fps haha.

Attachments

• 7AB66D3E-B0D1-4961-85DA-97A131CDC4F0.jpeg
    7AB66D3E-B0D1-4961-85DA-97A131CDC4F0.jpeg
    104.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 61C0C1B6-3142-43B0-8FCD-5D3A95726D94.jpeg
    61C0C1B6-3142-43B0-8FCD-5D3A95726D94.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 106

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A little bit of TG goes a long ways. If you are loading lead bullets I hope you have a LOT of solvent, brushes and patches handy. You might think someone messed up and put FFFg black powder in your can. Plated or jacketed are GTG with TG.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The C.O.L says 1.213... what is +/-? Also, is the +/- same with all bullets, or specific to each one? Example, C.O.L. on the 185 gr XTP says 1.213, I’m gonna load some FMJ with a C.O.L. of 1.210. So saying it’s +/- .08, would the XTP ok at 1.205-1.221? Or are you held strictly at 1.213?

I know these are easy questions to most, but when I do something, especially potentially dangerous, I am extremely meticulous. Which is good with dangerous hobbies.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The C.O.L says 1.213... what is +/-? Also, is the +/- same with all bullets, or specific to each one? Example, C.O.L. on the 185 gr XTP says 1.213, I’m gonna load some FMJ with a C.O.L. of 1.210. So saying it’s +/- .08, would the XTP ok at 1.205-1.221? Or are you held strictly at 1.213?

I know these are easy questions to most, but when I do something, especially potentially dangerous, I am extremely meticulous. Which is good with dangerous hobbies.
No you have some leeway to tweak either way but in your example using a Hornady bullet and Hornady giving you an OAL to seat it to, you aren't going to go wrong with that. We sometimes will tweak it a little either way to find a more accurate load, but start with Hornady's number. Each barrel has it's own tastes. Just don't venture too far and check function before you go and load up a case worth. When I'm loading I use +/- .005 from my OAL setting. Most rounds will fall much closer than that .010" range but bullets vary from one to the next. I don't sweat it too much.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok another noob question. I have finally gotten through enough books, videos, etc., to start actually charging rounds. I set up a Lee Powder Measure, calibrated and zeroed my Frankford digital scale, and am currently weighing charges. I’m loading 45 acp, with 5.7 grains of Titegroup. Scale compared to measure shows dead on, BUT... it just doesn’t look like enough powder! So my question is, in the picture is the charge. Does it look at least close to the amount, or am I doing something wrong? Missing a step with the scale, or powder measure?
Everything in me, says that from what I’ve read and seen, this the right charge, but being a beginner, it just looks like a very tiny amount to shove a bullet out at 900 fps haha.
Your good to go. I shoot 5 grains of Unique that is a flake powder in .45 ACP 185 grain. It looks woefully inadequate to the eye but they go boom every time.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load only 115grain 9mm [for a 4" barrel], using 4.1 grains (hot load) of TiteGroup, with a COL of 1.125" and maintain +/- .004"
That 4.1 grain powder load fills the 9mm case just less than half full, so it may not "look" like enough - but it IS plenty of powder.

Based on Hodgdon's website data, your 4.7grains of powder pushing a 185grain bullet should be just fine, out of a 4" or a 5" barrel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom