How much magnification needed..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Leupold 6.5x-20x scope for my ar15. It works great and I think the magnification is good for the distance a .223 round can travel. I want to keep the same scope model in my .308 ar but noticed that they offer a 8.5x-25x. Is this extra magnification worth the money? And does it significantly aid in distance shots?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are 1000 yard matches at Camp Perry Ohio with iron sights.

That being said, magnification magnifies the error.

I'm sure this mystifies you but, On Wednesdays I shoot a silhouette match with rifles at 100 yds.(3" targets, offhand, no support or slings) I thought the Nikon Monarch 6X24X50 would let me zoom in on the target for the best shot.

What I found, was even though the target was full in the scope, I over corrected constantly. When I dialed the scope down on the next match, the cross hairs probably moved the same, but I was not chasing the target, and when the time came, pulled the trigger. My scores were better at lower magnification.

This is a specific situation. If your hunting using sticks, or using a bench rest, etc, all the above kind of goes away. Good glass at longer ranges will make a difference, so I guess what I'm saying we need to know a little more about what your intentions for the gun are.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Dennis. If you are shooting from a solid rest. I don't think you can have too much. If you are hunting and mostly shoot offhand it is no really needed. Also glass clarity overrides magnification any day.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would love to say I am shooting prairie dogs at 800 yards+....but I'm not. I would like to be able to hit a 12 inch gong though! No way I could see that without a scope. The difference in the 20x to the 25x is a couple hundred bucks retail....

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am with you. I have a more than a couple of 20 power scopes and a couple 25 power. They make a difference shooting prone at 600 yards. Also the 25 power sure does make it easy to pick shots out on paper under 200 yards.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used a 3-9x40 nikon buckmaster on my .308 for 1 year and best 3 shot group was .75"
I had a 4-16x40 centerpoint on my 30-06 and best 3 shot was .75"
I could see the holes much better with the centerpoint scope..clarity was a wash between the 2.
Reticle was thinner on the centerpoint..so i got one for the .308.. Then my 3 shot groups shrank best being in the .3" area with the .308.

I can see holes well at 226 yards with the centerpoint but at 300 yards it gets iffy..
Better glass more magnification and smaller reticle is what i feel i need.
The last being important..
At higher magnifications and further ranges i like an adjustable objective also.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used a 3-9x40 nikon buckmaster on my .308 for 1 year and best 3 shot group was .75"
I had a 4-16x40 centerpoint on my 30-06 and best 3 shot was .75"
I could see the holes much better with the centerpoint scope..clarity was a wash between the 2.
Reticle was thinner on the centerpoint..so i got one for the .308.. Then my 3 shot groups shrank best being in the .3" area with the .308.

I can see holes well at 226 yards with the centerpoint but at 300 yards it gets iffy..
Better glass more magnification and smaller reticle is what i feel i need.
The last being important..
At higher magnifications and further ranges i like an adjustable objective also.

People don't usually inquire about that reticle thickness in these post but you are correct. I purchased a nice 15x zeiss that was a FFP scope with pled reticle. The cross hairs will cover up a 1.5" diameter circle at 100 yards. Not good for the bull battle 22-250 I bought it for. Varmints would be hard to get a good hit on at any kind of range.
Thanks for bringing it up it is very important

Latest posts

Top Bottom