How sharp is it really?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How can one make a genuine quantitative/qualitative comparison of just how sharp a blade is? I can easily get my knives sharp enough to shave arm hair. But, I'm experimenting with various sharpening methods/techniques and would like to be able to determine which way I am really getting the best edge. Any help?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Mckrosky knife will shave the lettering off an ink jet copy and not go through the paper beneath it.

Bought one of his knives several years ago, and actually duplicated his assertion. Its done with a paper wheel and some jewelers rouge for the final sharpening. His knives don't actually have an angled edge like one would have on a commercial knife. They taper from the back to the edge in an even flow.
Took mine back to him for a touch up last year after two elk and a couple deer. It would still shave the hair on the arm, but not quite the razor sharp it came with. He offers a life time sharpening warrenty.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could buy some paper wheels, and rouge to do the same.
Take your knife to Dave, and watch him do it one time, and its not a real secret. I get around Stillwater enough that its easier to drop by and listen to some stories while he does it.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep I just have him do it, suppose I'll need to be able to do it myself one of these days. Watched him a few times and it doesn't take long.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20 seconds or so and its done. Its done quickly per side, and then hesitate to keep the heat off the edge that would reduce the temper. If you watched him closely, he felt the edge to see if its too hot before going to the other side.

I've seen guys at hunting shows using that process and they really lay the steel into the wheel. I can't imagine it would hold its edge after that.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I've got two of Dave's knives. I also had him sharpen several of my other knives. I need to take some back to him. But, I would like a way to be able to tell how sharp I am really getting my knives when I sharpen them myself. I have not tried shaving the letters off the printed page with my knives ... I mean the ones I sharpened. I've done it with his, and watched him sharpen my knives. No, it's not rocket science. I would just like a way to really 'measure' the results.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - When I get serious about putting an edge on my knives, I finish up by running them across a leather (split) strop with some jeweler's rouge on it. I have a neighbor who makes knives and asked him some time ago about sharpening some knives for me. I took him the blades and he basically said, 'you've got them sharp. You just need to run them across a strop.' So, that's what I've been doing, and it really does seem to make a difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom