How To: Bipod Your Savage 64 - Novice style

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAGS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not a gunsmith-- Pictures and actions seen here done by a novice on a budget.

After my first walk thru today at the OKC gunshow, and not finding any prices worth paying for on firearms, but finding some reasonable prices on firearm accessories and gear, I figured I'd go ahead and finish some projects that i've been putting off. One of those projects i've had on my list for a long time was to scope/bipod the 64.. So I figured while I'm at it, I would take a few pics and share it with you guys.. As you will see, extremely easy process, but maybe somebody will find it usefull..

Take your Savage 64
i49.tinypic.com_2rh011l.jpg

Make a Condition 4 weapon and ensure you have all the parts needed. For this project I found a TOC Swivel Bases($5), UTG Tactical OP-1 Bipods($25) and a used but in great condition and even better price Simmons 3-9x40.
i48.tinypic.com_6o27md.jpg

Remove the stock and place it in your favorite mobile gun vise.
i46.tinypic.com_143jofd.jpg

Mark where you want the bipods to be, and drill you a hole. I used a 5/32 bit, it was just smaller than the 7/8 Machine screw, allowing it to create its own thread when I screwed it in,, which in my head creating a better finished product.
i47.tinypic.com_10emp6v.jpg

Screw in the Machine screw swivel base and tighten down the Knurled nut, I used Permatex Threadlocker RED..
i48.tinypic.com_5dj6di.jpg

i45.tinypic.com_xkw4g8.jpg

Attach the UTG Swivel stud kit and rail.
i48.tinypic.com_hvw2uq.jpg

Attach the bipods and ur scope of choice, Finished product.
i48.tinypic.com_210a9me.jpg

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good job! The only real difference between your job and a gunsmith's is he would have a counter-bore to level out the rounded plastic to a nice solid platform. Since your mainly using it for a bipod holder it doesn't really matter as the bipod adapter holds it solid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom