How to build a computer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The end of that video reminds me of a letter that got printed in one of the trade rags about 25 years ago. The guy who wrote in was working the corporate help desk when the CEO's secretary called in, frantic because she'd spilled coffee on the boss's keyboard. He tells her to stick it under the faucet for a minute or so, then let it dry for an hour, then plug it in and see if it works, thinking (but not saying) that it couldn't hurt, and, at worst, they're just out a $20 keyboard.

Fast forward about five minutes to when the CEO calls the help desk, wanting to know why his secretary had his brand new laptop in the sink running water over it...

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a call from the help desk one day that said they had screwed up, and needed me to go see a user and smooth it out with them. I was like ???, usually they'd just call the user and fix it themselves. I asked what they did, and he said they meant to change someone's password, but somehow changed the wrong user's password without their knowledge. Again, I was like ???, that doesn't seem that hard to fix. I asked who the user was, and they said it was the CEO. I laughed all the way up to his office, and got it worked out. He was a pretty laid back guy. :rollingla

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day, when I was in CNE training, one of my instructors worked in IT for a large national bank, and he had plenty of help desk stories. He worked out of their office in Dallas, but they had offices all over the country, so he never even met most of the people who called him.

One day, one of those people he didn't know called for help. She said her computer was making strange beeping sounds, so he asked her to hold the phone near the computer. Sure enough, it was beeping a fairly standard POST failure beep code, but his inner six year old kicks in, so he hollers "OH MY GOD, IT'S GONNA BLOW!"

The next thing he hears is the handset clattering on the desk followed by the sound of high heels running away.

Fortunately, he said, a senior VP in New Jersey had a very good sense of humor.

Latest posts

Top Bottom